Alter Ego Detector

Alter Ego Detector 1.7.8

No permission to download
Liam,

One of my mods told me this will not report if a banned member registers again? In other words, it doesn't check against banned cookies or something similar?

Any ideas?

IP banning or detection does not work any longer because too many are mobile users and IP's change too much.

I should have explained it better. Here are the words from my moderator "pen"

Tonight, I made a BS thread as "pencil" and asked BB to ban him which he did with a grin.

I then created a new account and posted as "fountain pen"

In doing so, no warning came up that pencil has an alter ego, only pen.

I'm thinking that by banning someone, if they create an alias that we won't get the warning.

Last edited:
Liam,

One of my mods told me this will not report if a banned member registers again? In other words, it doesn't check against banned cookies or something similar?

Any ideas?

IP banning or detection does not work any longer because too many are mobile users and IP's change too much.

I should have explained it better. Here are the words from my moderator "pen"

Tonight, I made a BS thread as "pencil" and asked BB to ban him which he did with a grin.

I then created a new account and posted as "fountain pen"

In doing so, no warning came up that pencil has an alter ego, only pen.

I'm thinking that by banning someone, if they create an alias that we won't get the warning.

Were they staff?

Staff members are generally exempt from the check (it's a permission). The cookie doesn't get set for those with that permission.

I may have added something about banned members, let me check...

If the user is banned when they login, then no report is created, as they may already have been reported and banned.

The cookie is set however - so if a banned member logs in, a cookie is set. If they then login using another account, that isn't banned, a report will be created.

If the second account is banned, no report will be created and the cookie will be set to the other user's IP.

Make sense?

Liam

Last edited:
@Liam W thanks for the add-on - but it's not telling who it's an alter-ego of (in the report thread):

upload_2013-11-9_23-38-11.webp

I've tested this with my own test-user account and also with our shared general moderator account and it's not showing who.

I'll PM you a more detailed screenshot.

I'm not sure if this is because we have reports send to a forum, as opposed to using the Report Centre?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I'm also getting the following errors:

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: Undefined index: extraContent - library/AlterEgoDetector/ReportHandler/User.php:24
Generated By: testuser, 59 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/cyclechat/public_html/library/AlterEgoDetector/ReportHandler/User.php(24): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined index...', '/home/cyclechat...', 24, Array)
#1 /home/cyclechat/public_html/library/XenForo/ReportHandler/Abstract.php(67): AlterEgoDetector_ReportHandler_User->getContentTitle(Array, Array)
#2 /home/cyclechat/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Report.php(439): XenForo_ReportHandler_Abstract->getContentForThread(Array, Array)
#3 /home/cyclechat/public_html/library/AlterEgoDetector/ControllerPublic/Login.php(115): XenForo_Model_Report->reportContent('user', Array, 'This user faile...', Array)
#4 /home/cyclechat/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(337): AlterEgoDetector_ControllerPublic_Login->actionLogin()
#5 /home/cyclechat/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#6 /home/cyclechat/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#7 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(36) "http://www.cyclechat.net/login/login"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(7) {
["login"] => string(6) "testuser"
["register"] => string(1) "0"
["password"] => string(8) "********"
["remember"] => string(1) "1"
["cookie_check"] => string(1) "1"
["redirect"] => string(1) "/"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
}
}

Cheers,

@Liam W one thing I've noticed is that it seems to report every time a multi-handler logs in - that's great, but there are one or two instances where we allow this so could I please make a suggestion - could we have a whitelisting option in the ACP settings - Don't report these users: - with a list of usernames that don't trigger the reports?

Cheers,

@Liam W one thing I've noticed is that it seems to report every time a multi-handler logs in - that's great, but there are one or two instances where we allow this so could I please make a suggestion - could we have a whitelisting option in the ACP settings - Don't report these users: - with a list of usernames that don't trigger the reports?

Cheers,

Is the usergroup permission not OK?

As per the report thread, yes - its because its in thread format.

I didn't test it, as you should really disable report center logging, and have a thread created by the addon.

However, I'll see if of can be fixed...

Is the usergroup permission not OK?

No, not really, I'd prefer being able to nominate usernames - but it's only a suggestion for later consideration. (y)

As per the report thread, yes - its because its in thread format.

I didn't test it, as you should really disable report center logging, and have a thread created by the addon.

Ah, I've just checked and I didn't have that option ticked, I had Start Report checked instead.

So, I ticked Create Thread? and it reported the name but also made two different reports, so I've also unticked Start Report and it seems to be behaving as I'd originally expected and just posting one thread in the nominated mods forum. :D

The error has now gone too! (y)

Thanks,

Heres a bit of explanation:

Start Report will add a report to the report center. If you have the report center set to create threads, then a thread will be created, and a server error will be thrown due to lack of stored data. This should be disabled if reports are set to go to threads.

Create Thread
will cause the addon to create a thread directly, with the relevant data. This should be selected if reports normally go to threads.

Just leaving this here for future reference :)

@Liam W having had this installed for a little while we're now getting regular "know" alter-ego reports - households where more than one person uses our forum from the same machine.

Could we please have an option for white-listing "known" alter-ego accounts - so they are no longer reported?

Thanks,
I am experiencing the same issues as Shaun mentioned above, have they been fixed?

Thanks!

Technically speaking, it is already implemented:

User->User Permissions-><Enter username you want to whitelist in box>->Bypass Alter Ego Checking->Allow->Save

They will no longer be subject to alter ego checking...

I hadn't realised there were any permissions related to your add-on (maybe I've missed where this was mentioned?).

I'll give that a try - thanks. :D

Thanks Liam, that's great :) Just to confirm... the error where the name is not listed (in post 27) is that solved?

That wasn't an error - it was a misuse. If you have reports set to go to threads, you should have reports disabled in this addons settings, and threads enabled.

Liam

Top Bottom