Addons Deprecated by Xenforo Updates

Heh, is "deprecated" really the correct term to use here? But maybe I'm looking at it in a different perspective. :p Sadly it seems that some of the addons still carry a little important piece that XF might not have, so not all of these addons can be uninstalled, assuming you don't want to give up that functionality.
I imagine any missing functionality will quickly be added by a new add-on (or a new version of the "deprecated" add-on).

Heh, is "deprecated" really the correct term to use here? But maybe I'm looking at it in a different perspective. :p Sadly it seems that some of the addons still carry a little important piece that XF might not have, so not all of these addons can be uninstalled, assuming you don't want to give up that functionality.
When an addon is rendered obsolete or extraneous due to it's features being entered into the core, it becomes deprecated.

Also see, Two Reasons for Deprecation:

The feature has been replaced by a more powerful alternative feature.

The feature is considered extraneous, and will be removed in the future in order to simplify the system as a whole.

I imagine any missing functionality will quickly be added by a new add-on (or a new version of the "deprecated" add-on).
Yea, that is why I wouldn't use the term deprecated in this case. It's like saying all these addons are deprecated by XF, but one week later, okay a few of these addons are now undeprecated...

When an addon is rendered obsolete or extraneous due to it's features being entered into the core, it becomes deprecated.

Also see, Two Reasons for Deprecation:

The feature has been replaced by a more powerful alternative feature.

The feature is considered extraneous, and will be removed in the future in order to simplify the system as a whole.
Yea, I feel that using the term deprecated in this sense seems to be "crossing its border". It makes sense if XF is deprecating parts of its own system, or an addon is deprecating it's own functionality, but not for XF to an addon, because ultimately the addon author still controls whether they want to continue offering the addon or not. They still tend to have some features that XF doesn't.

When you say, "The feature has been replaced by a more powerful alternative feature." The thing is, like I said in my previous reply, a lot of addons still have some parts that the core doesn't. For example, TMS, it does styles as well, but XF doesn't. Post edit history is only one of the many things user essentials offers. Signature restrictions still have a couple options that XF doesn't. There are possibly others too. Usually when something is deprecated you discourage use of it, but some of these addons are still worth using if you need that functionality. They can always continue to offer additional functionality that XF doesn't as well.

Well I guess you can say deprecated in a very general sense, I just find it weird when it crosses over to a line in another product. It's kind of like saying one forum software is deprecated by another. :P

For every Xenforo update I plan on adding to this thread addons I believe have been deprecated by the update, in a very general sense of course. I look at my site with 80 addons and think "Okay what else can I uninstall that I longer need?" I want everything I have on there right now. Anything I can do to decrease that number while keeping the same basic functionalities of a feature I want is my goal. So when Xenforo 1.2 comes out, it's gonna replace features of several addons and I'll be free to uninstall them. That's what I mean by an addon being "deprecated" by a Xenforo update. If a 'deprecated' addon has one extra feature that the Xenforo Update doesn't have then it's a toss up on whether it should still be kept or not.

I've been trying to get my site ready for Xenforo 2.1 by removing all the addons phased out by 2.1 and this has been a real pain-in-the-butt. This is not as difficult as blundering around vBulletin 5 though but it's difficult cause I have caching issues and I have sooooo many customizations.

You mind to share your timemachine or at least the newspaper from next monday? so i can make some bets and solve all my money problems:cool:
if not, xf 2.1 would be ok too

"Have We Seen?" Yes we have seen some of that stuff before since some stuff was previously created by other resource authors, but one thing I haven't seen on here before, that shines above all others is the editor improvements.

Xenforo 1.2.webp

Resource authors like me who rely on TMS for some addons won't uninstall it, but IMO it's no longer necessary for it's main function: using it as a system to create your template edits. I'm moving all my template edits from TMS to TMC.

Resource authors like me who rely on TMS for some addons won't uninstall it, but IMO it's no longer necessary for it's main function: using it as a system to create your template edits. I'm moving all my template edits from TMS to TMC.

Aren't the main functions people use is to do their styling? Something the xenforo tms actually won't accommodate?

Good luck with that. According to Mike TMC is more like an add-on thing and not a style thing.

Top Bottom