Add-on Install & Upgrade

Add-on Install & Upgrade 1.4.3

No permission to download
Whenever I update an addon, this plugin now forgets the resource manager url for the upgraded addon, so it no longer knows where to check for addon updates. IE, after upgrading an addon, I used to see a "green checkbox" and now I see a red X.

Whenever I update an addon, this plugin now forgets the resource manager url for the upgraded addon, so it no longer knows where to check for addon updates. IE, after upgrading an addon, I used to see a "green checkbox" and now I see a red X.
Yup, I've confirmed. Just working on another bug which I'm hoping to fix by the end of this weekend before the next version can be pushed up.

So, reading back through the overview page I still have a few questions. The forum is installed on my own private VPS.

- How can I still update add-ons the old school way with this installed? It takes over the default Install Add-on button so it seems I have to disable it to do that or make the permission changes somewhere as Xon mentioned.

- So to use the new install/update methods what permissions need to be set on what folders? There's a note in the known issues 'A server configuration change is required.' but no mention of what is required, this should be the same for all installs and would be handy to know.

- What is the difference between File Copy and FTP? I don't understand the distinction here and which to choose when?

- No matter whether I select File Copy or FTP, clicking Install from uploaded file/s > 'Choose Files' opens to browse files on my local PC. Does this actually mean 'Upload files to install from'? Right now the phrase sounds like I should have already uploaded the files to the server.

- Can a link to the add-on on an developer's external site page be used instead of to the Resource Manager URL on here?

I might be a bit slow, but I'm finding this more confusing than the old way of just bunging up the files by FTP and browsing to the XML file. :(

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this, but after you upgrade an add-on it clears the Resource Manager URL from the below. I have to keep manually adding it back every time I upgrade one. Doesn't matter what browser you use.

EOmyYh8.webp

So, reading back through the overview page I still have a few questions. The forum is installed on my own private VPS.

- How can I still update add-ons the old school way with this installed? It takes over the default Install Add-on button so it seems I have to disable it to do that or make the permission changes somewhere as Xon mentioned.
The upgrade button on the add-on list isn't overriden, it is just the install add-on link.

- So to use the new install/update methods what permissions need to be set on what folders? There's a note in the known issues 'A server configuration change is required.' but no mention of what is required, this should be the same for all installs and would be handy to know.

- What is the difference between File Copy and FTP? I don't understand the distinction here and which to choose when?
In both cases the files are uploaded, extract to addon/install folder. What changes is how the files are then pushed to every where else;

• File copy copies the files via PHP file copy commands to the correct location.
    • This requires permission to overwrite files in the web directory
  • FTP copies the files via FTP to the destination.
    • This requires an FTP account, which is beyond the scope of this add-on thread to setup.

- No matter whether I select File Copy or FTP, clicking Install from uploaded file/s > 'Choose Files' opens to browse files on my local PC. Does this actually mean 'Upload files to install from'? Right now the phrase sounds like I should have already uploaded the files to the server.
Correct.

- Can a link to the add-on on an developer's external site page be used instead of to the Resource Manager URL on here?
Yes, but you will need to manually enter it after installing. However there is a bug where it will nuke the change every upgrade. This will be fixed next.

I might be a bit slow, but I'm finding this more confusing than the old way of just bunging up the files by FTP and browsing to the XML file. :(
I find the ability to install a packaged zip (files + xml) very useful. I also have +100 add-ons installed on my site, and over 600 upgrades applied via this add-on installer.

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this, but after you upgrade an add-on it clears the Resource Manager URL from the below. I have to keep manually adding it back every time I upgrade one. Doesn't matter what browser you use.

View attachment 140026
Known bug, should be fixed in the next point release.

The upgrade button on the add-on list isn't overriden, it is just the install add-on link.

Upgrade Add-on in the Controls drop-down for each add-on isn't but Install Add-on button up the top List Add-ons page does change to the new functions when this add-on is enabled and reverts to the Xenforo original simpler installer with it disabled.

Keeping the old school method in a third tab would have been handy for those who prefer that way still.

In both cases the files are uploaded, extract to addon/install folder. What changes is how the files are then pushed to every where else;

• File copy copies the files via PHP file copy commands to the correct location.
    • This requires permission to overwrite files in the web directory
  • FTP copies the files via FTP to the destination.
    • This requires an FTP account, which is beyond the scope of this add-on thread to setup.

Ok the mention of server configuration was talking about setting up FTP accounts being outside the scope of discussion, that's fair enough.

You've mentioned the add-on requires (over)write permission on the "addon/install folder" and "the web directory" and at the top of the overview it says "write permission to the server file system". Is this suggesting we give write permissions to the entire web root? Because I only allow write access where absolutely necessary.

Ideally the specific bare-minimum folders which need write access should be mentioned in the overview (eg: You will need XXX permissions on /XXX folder etc). I presume for copying the add-on files it would be /js and /library, but where do files get uploaded to? The /install folder?

This add-on doesn't overwrite anything in /install, it only creates new folders & files. It then uses the folder it creates to extract a scratch copy and delete it once it is done.

Everywhere else depends on what the add-on has packaged. Common folders are /js, /library, /style, but literially any folder or file is fair game. Getting into the technical bits can be become quite complex, and well beyond the scope of free support for configuring.

Thanks for the explanation, so it seems that ideally the entire web root requires write permissions set for the web server user.

Not so much of a concern on a dedicated server, but those using shared hosting need to take care when assigning these permissions.

Hello @Chris D

I have to enabled "Two-Step Verification" then i check my localhost with "Add-on Install & Upgrade 1.3.1" i'm trying to url for resource is correct, enter install for url correctly then get error here.

33.webp

I have to disabled TWO-Step Verification still works fine :|

I received this error today, is it just a temporary time out connecting to the XF site?

Code:
Exception: exception 'Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Exception' with message 'Unable to Connect to ssl://xenforo.com:443. Error #110: Connection timed out' in
/***/library/Zend/Http/Client/Adapter/Socket.php:235 Stack trace: #0
/***/library/Zend/Http/Client.php(973): Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Socket->connect('xenforo.com', 443, true) #1
/***/library/AddOnInstaller/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php(469): Zend_Http_Client->request('GET') #2
/***/library/AddOnInstaller/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php(457): AddOnInstaller_XenForo_Model_AddOn->checkForUpdate(Array, true) #3
/***/library/AddOnInstaller/CronEntry/UpdateCheck.php(9): AddOnInstaller_XenForo_Model_AddOn->checkForUpdates() #4 [internal function]: AddOnInstaller_CronEntry_UpdateCheck::checkUpdates(Array) #5
/***/library/XenForo/Model/Cron.php(357): call_user_func(Array, Array) #6
/***/library/XenForo/Deferred/Cron.php(24): XenForo_Model_Cron->runEntry(Array) #7
/***/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenForo_Deferred_Cron->execute(Array, Array, 7.9999990463257, '') #8
/***/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.9999990463257, '', false) #9
/***/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false) #10
/***/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false) #11 {main} - library/XenForo/Error.php:240
Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 9:03 AM

Top Bottom