Add Linkedin as one of the identities

I'm against this:P

It should be easier to create own identities, so each admin could add whatever he wants, without needing to code own files, instead of adding all possible services into the core product..
My 0.02$

Until that's possible ragtek, I rather have linked in as a default, it's equally popular and used in professional sites as the other identities. Great suggestion, it has my vote.

That said, having an easier implementation for id-services has a huge vote too, but I understand that might not be until version 2 or 1.5 or something.

+1 most emphatically re: LinkedIn... asap, please... At least a tutorial on how to add it as a custom link. My cornerstone social net as well.

Adding a new identity service seems to be fairly straightforward.

I don't know what form Linked In IDs take so I just created a basic file (attached) and saved it in /library/XenForo/Model/IdentityService
This will need to be updated to ensure correct checking of IDs.

I also created a phrase for use with the service: please_enter_valid_linkedin_id | Please enter a valid Linked In ID

Then I created the new service in the ACP as shown in the screenshot.
linkedin.webp

From what I can tell it seems to work.

You should be able to repeat that for any other service you want to add.

Attachments

Adding a new identity service seems to be fairly straightforward.

I don't know what form Linked In IDs take so I just created a basic file (attached) and saved it in /library/XenForo/Model/IdentityService
This will need to be updated to ensure correct checking of IDs.

I also created a phrase for use with the service: please_enter_valid_linkedin_id | Please enter a valid Linked In ID

Then I created the new service in the ACP as shown in the screenshot.
View attachment 11661

From what I can tell it seems to work.

You should be able to repeat that for any other service you want to add.
Are you able to use vanity name as well?
http://www.linkedin.com/in/username

Only one field is possible per identity service so you would have to specify one or the other.

The fields are just text fields though so there's nothing to stop you entering both names.

I am trying to implement the above solution to insert the new identity service, but i get the following error:

PHP Model Class Name:
Please specify a valid class that extends XenForo_Model.

Anyone has any updated on this method still working in 2023 or do we have a better way now?
Are you wanting login... or simply a field to show their linked-in ID. If the latter, that is easily done with custom field. No, by default it won't create a link (I don't believe), but cut & paste is not beyond most users ability.
If the former.. it's been there for awhile.

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 4.43.36 AM.png

The problem with the latter is that LinkedIn wants you to have an account for your site (guess they want to consider it a business so they can spam you), and it's something I refuse to do with them.

Top Bottom