Lack of interest Ability to recover account/password without email

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Biker

There are times when a forum member is gone for a long time, and during this absence may change email providers. This makes recovering their account without Admin assistance virtually impossible if they've forgotten their password.

It would be a nice feature to allow users to be able to recover their accounts directly from the site without having to worry about the password change request going to their old email address that they no longer have access to.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
That is really up to each site owner and the members in question.
It requires having those features enabled in the first place, as well as the members owning accounts for them.

Site owners can create a notice or other means of communication advising their members to do that.

That is really up to each site owner and the members in question.
It requires having those features enabled in the first place, as well as the members owning accounts for them.

Site owners can create a notice or other means of communication advising their members to do that.
But after a member has registered without social network authentication and the member is logged in, there is no function to connect the forum account to the social network account right?
You may be correct that the admin can somehow setup a notice for members who have not associated at least one social network to their account, but I'm not sure about that. Is that new in 1.3? If not,then the admin can not setup such notice.
But what I am asking for is not that members fill in the social network contact fields, but that the authentication function is triggered and the connection is actually made / confirmed. So the notification should have the same FB,G+, Twitter Auth functions/buttons as the login screen. Or alternatively add such buttons next to the contact fields. This allows the user to connect with the click of a button, instead of filling in everything.

It's done from here currently: http://xenforo.com/community/account/facebook

Try it yourself.
That's very cool. I assume this will be similar for G+ & twitter in 1.3.
Hopefully a notice conditional will be added to allow notices to be shown to members who have not associated any social network. Then my suggestion is already included.

It seems to me that once a member has associated at least one social network, they are able to regain access to their account. All thats needed is a notice to alert members to this possibility.

Two factor authentication is also a nice solution to this problem.

Top Bottom