XF 1.2 A New Editor and Much Much More

I've never hidden my frustrations with XF 1.1's editor (which is based on TinyMCE). In 1.2, we have entirely removed the existing editor and replaced it with a new one based on Redactor:
ss-2013-05-17_12-21-49.webp

So obviously this looks quite a bit different--and I know plenty of people didn't like the 1.1 editor look--but the functionality is there. So what advantages do we have? Well there are various ones:
  • Much lighter code and faster to load. Redactor depends on jQuery and benefits from that.
  • When pasting, most formatting is removed (though some is kept). However, if you're pasting from one XenForo editor to another (or within the same one), all formatting is maintained.
  • White space is maintained for code tags when pasting from Webkit. This was an annoyance for a number of people here, myself included. :)
  • The overlays are now consistent with overlays elsewhere in XF.
  • Generally, from my perspective, the code is much more adaptable to our needs.
  • A bunch of other things I'm going to detail below...
For the most part, the editor simply shouldn't get in your way so in a sense, you shouldn't actually see much different for the average post.

How about some other bigger changes?

Pasting images
If you use Chrome or Firefox and have an image in your clipboard, you can simply paste it into the editor. It will automatically be uploaded as an attachment if possible. If the upload is successful, this works exactly like uploading an image and then clicking the "full image" button.

Note that in Chrome, the image data must be in your clipboard (such as from pressing print screen). In Firefox, you can either have image data or you can copy a file that's an image and paste that.

Drag and drop uploading
Provided your browser supports it, you can now drag files into the editor to upload them:
ss-2013-05-17_12-37-47.webp

@User tagging
While not directly related to the editor change, this is probably the best time to mention it. You can use @Mike style syntax to tag users in a post:
ss-2013-05-17_12-39-42.webp

Tagged users will receive an alert when they're tagged.

You can obviously turn off tag alerts, but as an admin, you can also limit the maximum users that can be tagged per message as a permission. (So you could disable it for registered members and only allow premium members to tag, for example.)

Alternative smilie inserting approach
The smilie dropdown really didn't work well with a lot of smilies. Clicking the :) button will now do this:
ss-2013-05-17_12-42-10.webp

This is now making a call to get the smilies and lays them out with a template. This opens up the possibility for more organization options (though nothing has changed as of this message).

Auto save drafts
While you are typing a message, every X seconds (currently 60), a draft of your message will be saved. If you reload the page later, your message will be automatically re-shown. Drafts will be automatically pruned over time.
Each draft is associated with a particular piece of content, such as a thread, forum, or conversations. A draft reply that you start working on in thread 1 will not be shown to thread 2 and so forth.

Display if messages have been posted since you started your message
Tied into the auto-saving, when you're writing a reply to a thread, we will check to see if any new messages and display a note if there are. You can then display those new posts without reloading the page.

Oh yeah, one more thing on the editor, it's fully responsive:
ss-2013-05-17_12-49-20.webp

That should be a hint... :)

So, when are we going to see this all? Well, we're hoping to have 1.2 running here on XenForo.com in early June. The initial beta release will follow, based on how well the time on 1.2 goes. The final release of 1.2 would be wholly dependent on how the beta process goes.

The editor fades out even when pushing the buttons while typing, I believe it should only fade out when clicking outside the editor area...

I've only notice it fade out when you get an actual pop up (link, image, code, php) since you actually leave focus (which is what the CSS functions on).

and it stays faded out, if you click on cancel in the popups, because they don't bring the focus back to the editor, like when you click on the submit button

Oh man, this needs much more polishing => more waiting required:( :/

and it stays faded out, if you click on cancel in the popups, because they don't bring the focus back to the editor, like when you click on the submit button

Oh man, this needs much more polishing => more waiting required:( :/

Even with the last editor it worked the same, you lose focus once a popup occurs and need to click back.

hmmm... not a fan of the "fading effect".
You barely see the editor at the very bottom as it is so very bright due to the "fading effect".
It's like you are "hiding" the editor.... which is IMHO kinda counter-productive.

I see "Novice Users" asking: "where do I write a reply.... ?" :eek:

Anyway..... :notworthy:

Last edited:
People HAVE to have something to complain about. It is as simple as that. It's a MUST.

No, I am not complaining at all...... as I know I can customize the editor at my own Forum-install.
I am just giving my honest opinion and providing my subjective customer-feedback related to the software.

Receiving Customer-feedback is a very valuable asset for any company, which breeds innovation and improvement on the product itself. :coffee:

Think out of the box.

:)

I can't even see it. There should be an option to turn the fade off. What about people with eyesite problems? My vision is near perfect and it's too light even for me.

I can't even see it. There should be an option to turn the fade off. What about people with eyesite problems? My vision is near perfect and it's too light even for me.

I think using the light blue color and applying fade on it makes it so washed out and nearly invisible with some screen brightness and contrast settings. We can use the color that is used in the quoted text styling to make it more visible.

I like the new look and I really like seeing Kier active again. Hi Kier!:)(y)

I have to agree with some of the comments about the fade though. My first thought was, "what's up with the faded editor? Am I logged out? Why can't I post now?" I guess that is because, usually a faded element in most UI's means something isn't available to use. Thus, why the fade isn't really useful and could cause confusion.

Scott

Last edited:
But the first time someone taps the editor, they'll realize why it's faded. Just like anything else new, you test it and find out what it can and can't do. Once you know those two things, you remember that. I personally didn't question why it was faded, but I didn't really care because my avatar (or placeholder for one) was to the left of it so I knew I could post. Plus I simply tapped the editor and saw things fade to clarity. Either way, I don't care if it fades or doesn't, but I do personally like it.

If you are familiar with XF you'll know what to expect. I personally don't think it will help if people have to click to make it "come to life" - it should be there, bold as brass at the end of the page, strong, obvious - waiting for the poster's input - no gimmicks!! (y)

I agree. I feel the fade in the editor goes against what XF is about. The focus should be on getting the user to post. XF did this very well with the avatar next to the editor. Making you feel like you are half way there in making a reply. The fade is a step back and not a great feel. Makes me feel like the site does not want your reply.

Top Bottom