[8WR] XenCarta (Wiki)

[8WR] XenCarta (Wiki) 1.3.9a

No permission to download
Jaxel updated [8wayRun.Com] XenCarta (Wiki) with a new update entry:

Version 1.3.8 CHANGELOG

This is a huge update; if you haven't already; consider a donation, or buying the branding remval!
  • Attachments and History for a page have been added to "tabs".
  • Added tables for page watch preferences, and page read records.
  • Added a daily cronjob for cleaning up outdated page read records.
  • Admins can now create threads for pages on the edit screen.
  • Users now have the ability to "watch" (re: subscribe) to any page. This is pretty much...

Read the rest of this update entry...

For the Wiki thread forum, I presume we can set permissions such that users are unable to normally create threads and replies in this forum, but doing so through the wiki itself they will still be able to? I don;t want a wiki discussion forum to have threads and discussion that is 'orphaned' from the wiki.

For the Wiki thread forum, I presume we can set permissions such that users are unable to normally create threads and replies in this forum, but doing so through the wiki itself they will still be able to? I don;t want a wiki discussion forum to have threads and discussion that is 'orphaned' from the wiki.
I don't understand what you mean by "orphaned"... But as for the rest, thats how I have it on my forum:
http://8wayrun.com/calibur/forums/wiki-discussions.127/

NO ONE can make threads in that forum, not even administrators; I revoked that ability to all registered members. But the wiki can create threads in that forum.

NO ONE can make threads in that forum, not even administrators; I revoked that ability to all registered members. But the wiki can create threads in that forum.
That's what he meant by orphaned. Being able to make threads in the /wiki-discussions.127/ forum.
Sounds like you covered it.

Are there separate permissions for new threads and replies in Xenforo ?

What is automatic ? automatically creating a thread for each wiki item ?
Yes, correct. There is no notification system to admin (unless I activate moderation required) for new wiki entries so that I can go and manually create a discussion thread, and by the time I do, the 'flow' of others wanting to get involved through discussion may have been lost. I would like to have a discussion thread available for every wiki entry (once moderation approved, if moderation is enabled), and that this occurs automatically without manual intervention/creation? Perhaps the option when editing a wiki entry to disable the discussion thread for that entry, but I think it wil be much more value that by default it automatically creates a discussion topic for each new wiki entry.

I revoked that ability to all registered members. But the wiki can create threads in that forum.
OK, so I will go into my node permissions and manually set it that no-one can post new threads within. Wasn't sure if that would restrict creation of threads within wiki itself.

Yes, correct. There is no notification system to admin (unless I activate moderation required) for new wiki entries so that I can go and manually create a discussion thread, and by the time I do, the 'flow' of others wanting to get involved through discussion may have been lost. I would like to have a discussion thread available for every wiki entry (once moderation approved, if moderation is enabled), and that this occurs automatically without manual intervention/creation? Perhaps the option when editing a wiki entry to disable the discussion thread for that entry, but I think it wil be much more value that by default it automatically creates a discussion topic for each new wiki entry.

Further, when creating the discussion topic the content of the wiki entry is copied into the first post which is authored by me (admin) and not the actual author of the wiki entry. Anyone (users and visitors through googlebot) that land straight onto the discussion page would be easily mistalen in thinking the wiki content (via the first post) came from me/admin. It thus makes much more sense, at least to me, that the discussion thread is automatic so that the creation of the thread and first post is under the username of the creator of the wiki entry. Or at least when the thread is manually created, it is created under the wiki authors username and not the admins usernames (which also becomes a hazard in openly revealing a admin user account).

And, further again if I can be indulged, I feel the full content of the wiki entry should not be in the first post of the discussion thread, as I can see googlebot giving higher precedence to the discussion thread itself (due to the ensuring discussion and additional content of discussion posts) and primarily link to the discussion thread /thread/... rather than than the actual wiki entry at /wiki/... I would suggest the first post in the created discussion topic just include the first xxx characters (eg. 150) with a more prevalent link back to the wiki entry to read the full content of it.

My 0.02c worth

And, further again if I can be indulged, I feel the full content of the wiki entry should not be in the first post of the discussion thread, as I can see googlebot giving higher precedence to the discussion thread itself (due to the ensuring discussion and additional content of discussion posts) and primarily link to the discussion thread /thread/... rather than than the actual wiki entry at /wiki/... I would suggest the first post in the created discussion topic just include the first xxx characters (eg. 150) with a more prevalent link back to the wiki entry to read the full content of it.

Uh oh, quoting myself ... the definition of? :)

I see that the first post in the discussion topic is using the [wiki=full]title[/wiki] functionality "for embedding a cached ver." I would suggest that this is changed to just [wiki]title[/wiki] "for a link". Or, of even great benefit here and throughout the wiki, add the functionality of [wiki=partial]title[/wiki] with the xx characters value for partial being defined in Wiki admin options.

Top Bottom