• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jaxel, What if there is a previous /portal directory and let's say a wordpress installed. Is there a way to change xenporta's /portal to something else like /xportal ?

I'm also getting this strange error when I select multiple forums (Recent News Module):

Rich (BB code):
Server Error

Mysqli statement execute error : Data too long for column 'setting_value' at row 1

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 297
    2. Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
    3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in EWRporta/Model/Settings.php at line 66
    4. EWRporta_Model_Settings->updateSettings() in EWRporta/ControllerPublic/Portal.php at line 87
    5. EWRporta_ControllerPublic_Portal->actionEdit() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
    6. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
    7. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/user/public_html/index.php at line 15

All he did was remove all style elements from .sectionMain, and then make .subHeading look like .sidebar h3
How do I do this exactly?

And is there any way in general I can make changes to the Page Container template that only affect the XenPorta front page? Some kind of if-clause? I suck at this if it wasn't obvious enough.

Cheers.

it will be perfect if you add a custom thread field i mean a textarea when creating a new thread and we can use his content like the discription on the thread in the portal instead of the default character cut limit and we can turn it on or off this portal will be amazing just like datalife engine

I am having a small minor issue. For some reason the portal is showing the images from my posts instead of showing my avatar (see image). Then sometimes a few hours later it will fix itself. If I put a smiley in the post, that will also show up instead of my avatar. I have attached an image to show you what is going on.

portal-avatar-fail.webp

Thanks for the help guys!

Yer, I got that when I turned on the news module... if the opening had an image, the image got shown. If not, the avatar was shown. Not sure if its meant to be that way or not...

Hi Jaxel, Darkimmortal added a nice option to his chat add-on (TaigaChat), in which users are able to select and change the default route of the chat page from pre-defined routes.

Is it possible to add such feature. I'm asking because I have a previous blog installation installed on /portal and it interferres with XenPorta because it uses the same route...

Would it be possible to change the xenporta route from /portal to something else if you don't plan on adding such feature.

On the ACP you have an option called "Set as Index Controller", how can the "Move forums to /forum/ and set /portal/ as the index." be changed from URL "/forum/" to "/forums/"

Hi Jaxel,

The recentnews module is very laggy when it needs to pull larger posts. And I dont even mean that large, for example this post takes about 3-5 seconds longer to pull then a normal thread. Considering I have my domain pointing to my portal this makes my site look very slow. I have played and edited with all the other modules and recentnews is the only issue. Is there anything that can be done to make this faster? I am not a coder so I dont know how hard/easy this job is but just going off logic... The recent news module has a 'recentnews_truncate' to set the ammount of charecters pulled into the main portal page. I have mine set to 1500, so i dont understand how longer posts interfere with the speed of the portal when in the end all posts only need the first 1500 charecters... hope that makes sense Jaxel? Anything that can be done would be very much appreciated by all I would say.

Is there any way of getting complex arrays into portal block templates, without them being prefixed with the block name?

Right now I'm having to use this crazy hack: (which fails for arrays)

HTML:
<xen:if is="{$TaigaChat} && {$TaigaChat.taigachat_xenporta}">
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_refreshtime">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_refreshtime}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_enabled">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_enabled}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_maxlength">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_maxlength}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_reverse">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_reverse}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_height">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_height}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_route">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_route}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_rawtime">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_rawtime}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_thumbzoom">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_thumbzoom}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_js_modification">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_js_modification}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_canView">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_canView}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_canPost">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_canPost}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_sidebar">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_sidebar}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_popup">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_popup}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_toolbar">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_toolbar}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_toolbar_bbcode">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_toolbar_bbcode}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_toolbar_smilies">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_toolbar_smilies}</xen:set>
</xen:if>

Would be awesome if there was some way of getting the values through without that prefix so that I don't have to either do that hack (which is no longer enough) or check for the prefixed version every time I want to access a template variable.

Is there any way of getting complex arrays into portal block templates, without them being prefixed with the block name?

Right now I'm having to use this crazy hack: (which fails for arrays)

HTML:
<xen:if is="{$TaigaChat} && {$TaigaChat.taigachat_xenporta}">
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_refreshtime">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_refreshtime}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_enabled">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_enabled}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_maxlength">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_maxlength}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_reverse">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_reverse}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_height">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_height}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_route">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_route}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_rawtime">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_rawtime}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_thumbzoom">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_thumbzoom}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_js_modification">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_js_modification}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_canView">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_canView}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_canPost">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_canPost}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_sidebar">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_sidebar}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_popup">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_popup}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_toolbar">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_toolbar}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_toolbar_bbcode">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_toolbar_bbcode}</xen:set>
    <xen:set var="$taigachat_toolbar_smilies">{xen:raw $TaigaChat.taigachat_toolbar_smilies}</xen:set>
</xen:if>

Would be awesome if there was some way of getting the values through without that prefix so that I don't have to either do that hack (which is no longer enough) or check for the prefixed version every time I want to access a template variable.
I assume you're doing a template map? Something like:
Code:
<xen:include template="taigachat_template">
	<xen:map from="$TaigaChat" to="$taigachat" />
</xen:include>

In which case, works great for arrays. I'm amazed you are submitting that many variables into your template. Why don't you have them all in an array called "$taigachat"? Then you can map it very easily.

Hi Jaxel,

The recentnews module is very laggy when it needs to pull larger posts. And I dont even mean that large, for example this post takes about 3-5 seconds longer to pull then a normal thread. Considering I have my domain pointing to my portal this makes my site look very slow. I have played and edited with all the other modules and recentnews is the only issue. Is there anything that can be done to make this faster? I am not a coder so I dont know how hard/easy this job is but just going off logic... The recent news module has a 'recentnews_truncate' to set the ammount of charecters pulled into the main portal page. I have mine set to 1500, so i dont understand how longer posts interfere with the speed of the portal when in the end all posts only need the first 1500 charecters... hope that makes sense Jaxel? Anything that can be done would be very much appreciated by all I would say.

Hi Jaxel,

An answer would be appreciated!

Hi Jaxel,

An answer would be appreciated!

biggrin.png

I sent a pm yesterday and read through 10 more pages of this thread today. I didn't realize sending a pm was against the code of rules? I guess I'll ask my host I they can diagnose the error I sent you. I have to say that I understand the frustration from some users. Not everyone is a programmer, and not everyone will know how to fix errors or problems they encounter installing mods. I know not everything is conveyed over text in a post, but some of the responses read poorly on the standpoint of support. If it's purely an issue of donations, I'm sure more would donate if they saw a product working on their own server. I donated hundreds to one mod on vb I couldn't live without. My .02

I sent a pm yesterday and read through 10 more pages of this thread today. I didn't realize sending a pm was against the code of rules? I guess I'll ask my host I they can diagnose the error I sent you. I have to say that I understand the frustration from some users. Not everyone is a programmer, and not everyone will know how to fix errors or problems they encounter installing mods. I know not everything is conveyed over text in a post, but some of the responses read poorly on the standpoint of support. If it's purely an issue of donations, I'm sure more would donate if they saw a product working on their own server. I donated hundreds to one mod on vb I couldn't live without. My .02
I get a lot of PMs... I try not to answer support questions over PMs; I don't want to encourage more PMs. There are threads for a reason, post in the threads if you need support; chances are someone else had the same issue and came up with a solution. If I find a solution, I will post an answer... but until I do, I stay quiet.

SUPPORT is the reason I don't charge for my mods; I hate giving support. Its not that I hate fixing problems; I like doing that. The problem is that the majority of the time I have to "teach" people how to properly ask for support; and thats something I hate doing. (more people need to read this)

This is a transcript of one of my PM conversations... and consider that this is how the average support request over PMs work... (name removed to save them from embarrassment)
Hey Jax when i try making a Tournament Announcement an error comes up saying in need to use 100 characters or less..
It doesnt make sense I've never had it happen before... Help?
Jaxel said:
What are you inputting?
That's what I don't get i go through it everytime and it keeps saying the same message.
Jaxel said:
What are you inputting?
Im copying and pasting a bit of info from our main site. But for some reason that error message keeps coming up.
Jaxel said:
What are you inputting?
See. If you go to Events, put in June 2011 in the search. You'll notice it made like 6 announcement on that day. It may be my browser. But I've tried this 3 different times. May be more or a bug, just thought I should let you know.
Jaxel said:
What are you inputting?

My single pm was nothing like that, and I included the entire error message with relevant info on how it pops up.

I suggest posting a large "do not pm me for support" - "write a post in this thread" for support on all your mods. At least users won't think you're just ignoring them if they pm. For a majority of people, this is all new stuff. I know of some users with vb boards pushing 10 million + posts, and they still ask for help. Some don't want to look stupid posting things in a live thread. Sorry for going off topic.

People... there is forum support for a reason, or more, thread support for each mod... so developers can respond in one go.

As for donations... it means nothing. I have donated hundreds, but did I really? No... I paid via a donation to remove the copyright from each mod... neither of which makes me, or another, special for extra or private support.

Developers are here to help us all, as well as build, repair and upgrade their existing mods. I don't think we need to turn mod support threads into whiny *****ing threads.

I assume you're doing a template map? Something like:
Code:
<xen:include template="taigachat_template">
	<xen:map from="$TaigaChat" to="$taigachat" />
</xen:include>

In which case, works great for arrays. I'm amazed you are submitting that many variables into your template. Why don't you have them all in an array called "$taigachat"? Then you can map it very easily.

Thanks, got it working now :)

Completely forgot about xen:map >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom