• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8WayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal & Lite Wiki)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry could I get an answer on blocks viewable per usergroup?
I don't know what a block is - a mini page? or a chunk of code that could be usergroup viewable?

I don't know what a block is - a mini page? or a chunk of code that could be usergroup viewable?

I think blocks are like vBadvanced's modules.
http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=190
The idea for the portal is to be able to make a home page of blocks of content such as:

Module: Latest or random album pictures
Module: Members who have visited today
CMPS Module: Latest 10 Threads
Module: People you may know?
Module: Latest profile comments
Module: Current Horoscopes
CMPS Module: Users avatar recent threads. (Multi-page thread 1 2)
BT - Module: Latest blog comments

Forinstance:
http://www.vbadvanced.com/ homepage
has an announcements block on the right side, with a stats block, and a birthdays block under that.
I do believe in vBadvanced, blocks are usergroup viewable.

How hard would it be to insert WIKI content into the forums ?
Let's say I had a wiki pages called: "Page Data Types".
and someone asked the question in the forums ... Can I add php pages in my wiki ?
I would like to be able to answer:
[wiki]Page Data Types[/wiki]
and the contents of the Page Data Types wiki entry would appear in the forums, along with a link to the wiki.
Possible ?

One way to keep a wiki "fresh" is to be able to use it and reference it.
Communities don't really need a forum and a wiki. They need some blend of them. Sadly no forum has looked much past the outdated Forum>Thread>Post mentality.
I bet Xenforo will, but so far it looks pretty traditional.
Actually, being able to use [template=] tags could be useful in forumposts. However, I think this goes outside what this mod is about.

Please explain this better... I can't replicate based on what you said.
Jaxel, try putting a full URL into the field. Once you submit, you can't view the page and so can't delete it.

I know you aren't supposed to put full urls in but in case of user error you should be able to delete it or a bad link shows up in the wiki nav. Hope that makes sense ;)

Jaxel, try putting a full URL into the field. Once you submit, you can't view the page and so can't delete it.

I know you aren't supposed to put full urls in but in case of user error you should be able to delete it or a bad link shows up in the wiki nav. Hope that makes sense ;)
Okay... this has been fixed...

Ideas for wiki search.

(1) While the Wiki tab is selected, the "usual" xenforo search box searches the wiki, not the forums.
(2) While the Wiki tab is selected, the "usual" xenforo search box does not show up.
(3) add the word Wiki to the search box "overlay" so people know it is just awiki search. (shown here)
(4) at the end of the wiki search ... an option to "Do this search on the forums ?".
(5) integrate with forum searching. wiki pages show up in forum searching, but not vice versa. Wiki pages are more important than forum threads !

I think it is very clear now.

8WR XenPorta (Portal & Lite Wiki)
8WR XenMedio (Media Library)
8WR XenAtendo (Event Forum)
8WR XenTorneo (Tournaments)
8WR XenGrado (Rank Ladder)

should be:

8WR XenPorta (Portal)
8WR XenDocuments (Wiki Documents)
8WR XenMedio (Media Library)
8WR XenAtendo (Event Forum)
8WR XenTorneo (Tournaments)
8WR XenGrado (Rank Ladder)

I could see people easily wanting a Wiki Documents but either already have a "Portal" / HomePage, or just dont want one.

Any drawbacks on making them separate ?

Search Tweak: strip out Template data ?
That wouldn't actually be good... depending on how you have your templates set up, the contents of the template may actually be very important. Some of my pages are built ENTIRELY on templates (look at http://xen1.8wayrun.com/wiki/cassandra-soulcalibur-iv-frame-data/). If I stripped out all contents of templates, the search results for this page would be empty. It does however strip out the actual [template] tag however.

I think it is very clear now.

I could see people easily wanting a Wiki Documents but either already have a "Portal" / HomePage, or just dont want one.

Any drawbacks on making them separate ?

Well as you can see... I've been slowly separating the wiki from the portal. Right now, on my test site, there is no reference to the portal from the wiki (there is reference to the wiki from the portal)... this essentially makes them separate; the only way to access the portal is to click the header or the home link. Using this method, an administrator can essentially "disable" the portal, by just not creating links to it anywhere. Users won't find it, and search engines won't find it.

I was toying with the idea of making them separate, but then I realized that the purpose of this mod is to give administrators an easy way to manage their content... and that includes announcements and recent threads. So I decided not to split them.

Search Tweak: strip out Template data ?
props to somehow getting the search match to reach 111%... lol.

Actually, the way I had it programmed, it was possible to reach up to 120% search match... I've just never seen full text search results to reach that high... During a full text search, results are given a match rating anywhere from 0 and 4... so what I did was, searching titles and bodies, it multiplies a title match by 20, and a body match by 10... giving a possible 80% match on titles, and 40% match on bodies... bringing to a total of 120%...

What booth and cfodder said. :)

To be able to have a matching article and thread with comments.

Promoting a thread to the front page but still maintain the thread. Comments to the article on the front page appears both as a comment and in the thread. Posts in the thread appear both on the front page and in the thread.

And permissions so that only admins can promote a thread :)

What booth and cfodder said. :)

To be able to have a matching article and thread with comments.

Promoting a thread to the front page but still maintain the thread. Comments to the article on the front page appears both as a comment and in the thread. Posts in the thread appear both on the front page and in the thread.

And permissions so that only admins can promote a thread :)
If you had this, along with VBAdvanced style blocks for the side column, it would be a killer app.

New version is out... This is a large rewrite... since this is beta I decided that I can freely change things without having to worry about handling backwards compatibility with previous versions. So some things with the old version of this mod may break. Lots of files have been deleted, lots have been added; you may want to delete all current files. Lots of templates have been renamed as well. Remember, this is beta... New version adds the following features:
  • Portal: Recent news module displaying the most recently updated threads
  • Portal: Recent news threads will now properly render BBcode
  • Portal: The wiki has been segregated from the portal with it's own tab, and the portal tab has been removed.
  • Wiki: MinorAction construct has been modified... all special pages are now under /special/. Even with this new system, you can still create a wiki page slugged as "special".
  • Wiki: Related pages module added that displays entire breadcrumb tree.
  • Wiki: PHP file support added for wiki pages (these pages will not be cached).
  • Wiki: Search engine has been created... it uses MyISAM full-text searching in order to store match percentages.
  • Wiki: There is now a check in slug creation to make sure pages don't get created with broken slugs.
  • Wiki: There is now a recent activity summary page.
  • Wiki: Breadcrumb and Subpage constructs have been rewritten to reduce a query.
  • Wiki: Pages will now automatically link themselves based on matching text.
  • Wiki: Difference Comparison pages have been modified to make it easier to spot differences.

It looks like Xenforo has a permission issues, cache maybe, because I have set the permission to "Allow" but I get this:

"You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom