• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenMedio (Media)

Status
Not open for further replies.
example.webp

Would be great if Main category and sub category in that Categories page can be seperated in proper way Just the way you did with sub forums :P

Okay this is a flash demo of my uploader sidebar for EWRmedio, anyone interested in it pc me any suggestions that could make this better. I will be posting the mod very shortly.
Interesting... but instead of making the user copy and paste local:test_video_name.mp4... you can instead forward them directory to the submitted form... example:

http://www.8wayrun.com/media/submit?source=local:megaman2.mp4

Also, how are you handling cleanup? Lets say someone uploads a file, but then doesn't add it to the library, do you hook into the xenforo hourly cleanup job to get rid of erroneous files? As well, how are you handling permissions and file validation? Can someone can easily upload a fake file, with proper extensions and take over your server?

These kind of questions are the reasons why I don't offer a built in uploader.

Well this was a basic attempt at making a simple uploader for trusted users... It still needs a usergroup based permission for displaying it still but I'm not that far into it. The auto submit actually sounds like a great idea and hadn't even thought about it (I was thinking a "click here to copy" button). I will look and see what I can do. As far as hooking into xf that is my problem in general, technically speaking I'm a noob in the process of teaching myself php and coding in general. As far as security the MIME type is the only validation so far as well as size...I do however plan on adding an .htaccess entry to protect against double-extension attacks and also be replacing filenames so as to eliminate as many of (these) fakeimage.php.jpg things as possible so a saved filename will have all dirty parts replaced with XxX just like I have blank spaces replaced by _.
With a combination of all these I should be safe. But even now just the way it is, I can ftp a .php file into the data/media folder and it won't open xenforo spits out.
- Error

The requested page could not be found.

What do you think?

Just a suggestion, would it be possible to link posting events and media to the internal throphy system, so people get points for adding events and media? I guess it would increase the posting of these as you could instantly give one out on posting 1 event or media.

I'm going through as many security features as I can possibly find for this to see what if anything needs to be done...

I can upload as is, post, and update it accordingly if y'all want it now. Like I said though XenForo spits back errors when I try to run php in the upload directory so I'm pretty sure even if someone managed to upload a php doc or one with php headers embedded somewhere in it, the engine wouldn't recognize it. Don't quote that though. It is a think and I am still learning here. :-)

The only thing I want to add before I release it is the usergroup permissions system which I have no clue where to start. But am looking into it right now unless someone knows offhand.

Jaxel.. I need ability to provide audio files and soundtrackes, etc... MP3 files for starters. I would like ability for audio to continue playing even after manuevering to NEW page within the site. Audio files hosted on local server.

I have licensed copy of JW Player. Simple process to use nodelist to create a new page and embed jwplayer.

Jaxel,

This mod is amazing, just as it was on VBulletin. The problem I have with installing any MOD you create is because of what happened on VB.ORG. I installed your media plugin for VB and was really happy with it until it broke on the last update. The second you installed XF you stopped supporting all of your VB users without any notice at all. So there are hundreds of users of your mods stuck with thousands of videos that cant play or have other issues you refuse to address.

I understand you switched over to XEN but what if you switch back to VB? Or go to phpbb, IBP or the next big BB software? Will you leave us here with our DI#@s in our hands waiting for help and never getting it?

Sorry I am not trying be negative but your VB mods left a really sour taste in my mouth. This plugin fits my need 100% but with what happened over at vb.org I almost feel the need to code my own media plugin so I will never have to worry about you finding another software.

Jaxel.. I need ability to provide audio files and soundtrackes, etc... MP3 files for starters. I would like ability for audio to continue playing even after manuevering to NEW page within the site. Audio files hosted on local server.

I have licensed copy of JW Player. Simple process to use nodelist to create a new page and embed jwplayer.
This can be done with a popout player and if jwplayer is anything like flowplayer you can create playlist very easily( i have in the recent past made something similar that allows me to add media in a field and click to add to playlist from files stored on the server.)
So you (if I understand you correctly) can make a standalone page with a button on said page to pop out the page in a popup window or something similar: laced up with your favorite flash based mp3 player sitting on a nice splash logo. I would help but I have not even taken a look at jwplayer but I'm 100% sure I can redo this again with flowplayer and jQ. Best of luck with that.

(It would also be not a bad idea to say make that page using Kier's scratchpad which you can place the mp3 player up top on and use the scratchpad as an impromptu chat box for your jukebox page. Mind you that when you popout the player you don't have to have it coded so that it pops out the chat; just the player which would stay open in the popup page no matter where you navigate.)

Stan:
I am sure it won't take much tweaking to get your vBulletin plugins working.
Hire a coder to tweak it ... get 10 people to chip in $30 (or 100s as you say to chip in $10.)
I certainly think many people can fix Jaxel's old vB stuff.
Problem solved ! This wouldn't hurt.

If Jaxel switched from Xenforo to another platform, I'd want to hear why he was switching because I'd want to know if the new software was good for me as well.

Is the latest release (1.2.2) compatible with Beta 5 or is it outdated now? Either way, I downloaded the mod and followed the instructions listed in the first post, and I can get there via /media, but the tab on the navbar is empty (instead of saying "Media") and I didn't think that was something I had to change myself...is it? :confused: Sorry if I missed it in the earlier pages. Thanks; looking forward to using this one! :)

(btw, if I missed something, I'm blaming it on the fact that it's 4:00am right now and I'm due for bed. :P)

Is this related to XenMedio ?

yes, most definitely, as jwplayer is distributed with XenMedio. Look in the js folder.

I am still looking for following text in post #477 from this thread: 'Jaxel.. play audio with jwplayer.'
How can you quote something that does not exist???

Is the latest release (1.2.2) compatible with Beta 5 or is it outdated now? Either way, I downloaded the mod and followed the instructions listed in the first post, and I can get there via /media, but the tab on the navbar is empty (instead of saying "Media") and I didn't think that was something I had to change myself...is it? :confused: Sorry if I missed it in the earlier pages. Thanks; looking forward to using this one! :)

(btw, if I missed something, I'm blaming it on the fact that it's 4:00am right now and I'm due for bed. :p)

Revert the Navigation template if you made any changes this should fix your issue.

Jaxel,

This mod is amazing, just as it was on VBulletin. The problem I have with installing any MOD you create is because of what happened on VB.ORG. I installed your media plugin for VB and was really happy with it until it broke on the last update. The second you installed XF you stopped supporting all of your VB users without any notice at all. So there are hundreds of users of your mods stuck with thousands of videos that cant play or have other issues you refuse to address.

I understand you switched over to XEN but what if you switch back to VB? Or go to phpbb, IBP or the next big BB software? Will you leave us here with our DI#@s in our hands waiting for help and never getting it?

Sorry I am not trying be negative but your VB mods left a really sour taste in my mouth. This plugin fits my need 100% but with what happened over at vb.org I almost feel the need to code my own media plugin so I will never have to worry about you finding another software.
For every person that says it doesn't work in VB4.11, there are five other people that say it works fine... which tells me, it works fine. It's not broken, you just broke it on your forum.

I've also publicly stated that after the announcement of IB's Lawsuit against XF (the first one), that I no longer endorse vBulletin and am outright boycotting the software. That being said, the VB4 media mod is FREE; so you should expect to get all the support you deserve for what you paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom