$250 to remove brand removal?? Is this true?

zenzenzen

Before I buy XF, I saw that on top of the $140 licensing fee, it's an additional $250 to remove the copyright brand:

" Branding Removal - $250*
This allows you to remove the visible XenForo copyright notice from all pages."

It seems a bit high, since I'm already dropping $140 upfront

Do you guys remove the this brand/copy logo?
Are there other ways to remove the brand after spending $140? via CSS coding for example?

i think removing copyright somehow it's not right and it shows that your not proud of the software.. my thoughts would be xenforo should restrict addon branding since its a mess to have a paragraph of an addon copyright...
Disagreed, if they (XF) allow you to buy the rights to remove the branding, then why not? It's not cheap, but means you have in one way, a white label software platform. By doing so you're also paying a fair sum of money and as mentioned earlier, it also helps maintain the costs lower for other members who may not be able to afford to pay for copyright removal. :)

i think removing copyright somehow it's not right and it shows that your not proud of the software.. my thoughts would be xenforo should restrict addon branding since its a mess to have a paragraph of an addon copyright...
You can always pay the developer for add-on branding removal.

Add-on developers will make considerably less than XenForo as a whole and need to sell for competitive prices. Their add-ons are targeted at specific customers that need the add-on and are willing to pay a cost. Branding removal is one way to generate extra income whilst keeping overall prices low.

Using your same logic, though, wanting to remove add-on copyrights shows you're not proud of the add-on (and presumably, implied by your logic, you should hence not use it).

Probably several reasons to do it. Let's say you are Coca-Cola, you probably don't want users questioning what "xenforo" is, and you probably don't want to advertise them for free. If you are doing it to hide what forum software you use from your competitors then I personally believe that would be a waste of money.

If the branding removal is initially aimed at commercial usage, couldn't there be a cheaper alternative for branding removal for personal use, say $100 for personal, $250 for commercial, this way both ends of the spectrum could be supporting Xenforo and it would be more attractive to small forum owners.

My 5c worth.

If the branding removal is initially aimed at commercial usage, couldn't there be a cheaper alternative for branding removal for personal use, say $100 for personal, $250 for commercial, this way both ends of the spectrum could be supporting Xenforo and it would be more attractive to small forum owners.

My 5c worth.

Price should be the same for everyone unless you were to negotiate some type of bulk deal.

Why should a commercial price be the same as a personal one? bulk deals would make sense for a commercial stand point, but not a personal one.
The same reason that a XenForo license for a commercial site costs the same as a personal license bought by a hobbyist. The only reduction in cost is if you buy bulk XenForo licenses so likely that, if there was to be any cheaper pricing for copyright removal, it would only be for those purchasing bulk removals.

My 5c worth.
Where do you draw the line between what's commercial?

DBTech is commercial because we sell products using an addon to XF2 that would not be possible without XF2 as a base.

What about people running ads? Are they commercial?
People taking donations, who may be earning more than the exact penny their server costs. Are they commercial?
Forums that are owned by a large multi-site network. Are they commercial?

There's literally an infinite combination of permutations of various forums and whether they should be considered commercial, and the XF team would have to take a stand on each and every combination before they could even allow the Branding Free to be purchased. Some forums would disagree with the XF team's opinion, causing discontent.

...or you could just say it costs $250 and offer it for sale to everyone.

The same reason that a XenForo license for a commercial site costs the same as a personal license bought by a hobbyist. The only reduction in cost is if you buy bulk XenForo licenses so likely that, if there was to be any cheaper pricing for copyright removal, it would only be for those purchasing bulk removals.

so getting one business to pay $250 for branding removal is better than allowing 5 hobbyists to pay $500

Where do you draw the line between what's commercial?

DBTech is commercial because we sell products using an addon to XF2 that would not be possible without XF2 as a base.

What about people running ads? Are they commercial?
People taking donations, who may be earning more than the exact penny their server costs. Are they commercial?
Forums that are owned by a large multi-site network. Are they commercial?

There's literally an infinite combination of permutations of various forums and whether they should be considered commercial, and the XF team would have to take a stand on each and every combination before they could even allow the Branding Free to be purchased. Some forums would disagree with the XF team's opinion, causing discontent.

...or you could just say it costs $250 and offer it for sale to everyone.

Any entity that earns money from their installation should be considered commercial, that includes ads, donations, etc

...or you just charge $100 for everyone to remove it.

so getting one business to pay $250 for branding removal is better than allowing 5 hobbyists to pay $500
There's probably not that many hobbyists that are bothered about removing the copyright compared to commercial businesses to make it worth XenForo policing so as to distinguish between who really is hobbyist and who is trying to pull a fast one and get it on the cheap. Plus as has been said above, where do you draw the line on what is classed as commercial or not? There are various potential definitions as has been stated.

As I also said, there is no price difference for XenForo software for commercial use or hobbyists, it's one price for everyone irrelevant of who uses it or how many users/posts your forum has. XenForo have chosen the same pricing model for copyright removal. I doubt very much they will change this anytime soon.

You have seen literal evidence in this thread of people saying "I would never have found XF if it hadn't been for the copyright footer" and you still advocate for making it cheaper?

So you want the XF2 devs to make $150 less from branding removal, and then further make $140 less from fewer people buying XF2, and then further make $40/yr less from those people not renewing their licenses...

I could understand your sentiment if this thread didn't already have people saying they only found & bought XenForo because of the copyright footer.

You want the fee to be reduced for you because you care about your site. Nothing good comes to the XF2 devs from reducing the cost. If you just admit that you are only arguing for a reduction in price for selfish reasons, then that's fine, but please do not misrepresent your argument by saying it would somehow be a benefit to anyone other than yourself.

i think if your forum is succeeding 250$ is not much unless and im okey with xen copyright but having 10 copyright on your footer from 10 addons is annoying especially when the branding is way more than the addon itself

You have seen literal evidence in this thread of people saying "I would never have found XF if it hadn't been for the copyright footer" and you still advocate for making it cheaper?

So you want the XF2 devs to make $150 less from branding removal, and then further make $140 less from fewer people buying XF2, and then further make $40/yr less from those people not renewing their licenses...

I could understand your sentiment if this thread didn't already have people saying they only found & bought XenForo because of the copyright footer.

You want the fee to be reduced for you because you care about your site. Nothing good comes to the XF2 devs from reducing the cost. If you just admit that you are only arguing for a reduction in price for selfish reasons, then that's fine, but please do not misrepresent your argument by saying it would somehow be a benefit to anyone other than yourself.

Xenforo forum software can be found a lot more ways then just a copyright notice at the bottom of a site, I didn't for example. I am saying it would make perhaps more hobbyist forum owners buy the brand removal and would in turn still give xenforo more revenue. I am saying i would likely buy it if it was for example $100, but not at $250, that's pretty clear and what I've already conveyed. I guess me not making money off xenforo at all and paying them makes me selfish? Payment models all over the planet make concessions for non business users, i can't see why xenforo could be any different without being labelled selfish.

Top Bottom