Resource icon

Unmaintained Global Topics 1.0

No permission to download
Always wished you could sticky a single thread across all of your forums? Well now you can!

I came across this topic in my own search for this particular feature and decided to share my implementation of it.

This add-on works on:
  • XenForo 1.2
  • XenForo 1.2.1
Here's how it works:
  1. Simply download the resource, upload it to your XenForo installation and import the add-on through the Admin CP.
  2. Create a new forum called "Announcements" or whatever you like, or pick an existing forum. Optionally you can uncheck "Display in the node list" to make the forum itself invisible. Take note of the ID of the forum, you can see this in the URL, for example:
    URLExample.webp
  3. Look for a "Global Topics" option group in the Admin CP, click it and set "Announcement Forum ID" to the ID you noted down in the previous step, for example: Option Group.webp
  4. All that is left to do is sticky a topic in your announcements forum and it will show up on all other forums, for example: Announcements Forum.webp
  5. Now browse to any other forum and it should look something like this: Main Forum.webp
  6. As an added bonus, you can style your stickied and global topics by modifying the EXTRA.CSS template, here's how mine looks:
    Code:
    .discussionListItem.global {
        background-color: #B0DEFC;
    }

.discussionListItem.global .posterAvatar, .discussionListItem.global .stats {
        background: url("styles/default/xenforo/gradients/category-23px-light.png") repeat-x scroll center top #B0DEFC;
    }

.discussionListItem.sticky {
        background-color: #DBF0FF;
    }

.discussionListItem.sticky .posterAvatar, .discussionListItem.sticky .stats {
        background: url("styles/default/xenforo/gradients/category-23px-light.png") repeat-x scroll center top #DBF0FF;
    }
    Please note that this particular bonus is made possible because of a template modification, if you are using a heavily customized theme you probably have to adjust it a little for it to work properly, but it should work right out of the box when you are using the default theme.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them here. Also note this is a no-nonsense implementation of this particular feature, but it lends itself for extension pretty well.

Anyhow, enjoy!
Author
LennardF1989
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update

Ratings

5.00 star(s) 4 ratings

Latest reviews

Extremely useful for almost any type of forum. Extremely easy to set up, and the CSS provided makes editing it, and adding a little something something to it to stand out extremely easy.
D
What a great mod, easy and simple to use. Thanks for this one
Love it, been waiting for something like this!
good job!
Top Bottom