Add-on (XF1.5) RFP: Custom add-on to let users move threads to another forum

Solari

We have a read-only news forum where XF's RSS feeder pulls in news items.

I'm looking for an easy, essentially one click way for users to:
  1. click on a link or button inside the thread (in the post is fine as each thread will only have one post - the news item)
  2. select from a list of pre-defined list of destination forums (in our case, three) to move it to with all options hidden or locked in
  3. leave a permanent redirect
... this will allow users to move something they'd like to talk about into our discussion forum while leaving a permanent redirect for other readers who happen upon it in the news-only forum.

I don't think it would be necessary to get really involved in permissions as it the news-only forum permission properties will be leveraged so only a certain group of users can access it.

This request is actually pretty similar to this add on (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/thread-likes-move.5826/), which would almost be perfect but it doesn't allow selecting from a set of destination forums to move it to and it doesn't leave a permanent redirect.

I would be cool with posting this as an add-on for all to download in Resources to share and/or porting it to XF2 if you wish.

If you need clarification, feel free to holler my way. : )

Thank you!
Ray

Last edited:
Wouldn't giving a usergroup the Manage (move, merge, etc.) thread by anyone permission achieve what you want for the news-only forum?

Admin Panel -> Applications -> Node tree -> Find node and select Permissions -> Choose usergroup -> Manage (move, merge, etc.)

Wouldn't giving a usergroup the Manage (move, merge, etc.) thread by anyone permission achieve what you want for the news-only forum?

Admin Panel -> Applications -> Node tree -> Find node and select Permissions -> Choose usergroup -> Manage (move, merge, etc.)

The issue is limiting it to a specific set of forums, only allowing the move option, and automatically turning on permanent redirects... In other words I'd like to lock those things in and make it essentially a one click thing as folks aren't going to know how to mess with it, much less select a thread and finagle with the options within.

Ray

Top Bottom