Who uses large monitors > 30 inch

I did not know that the pixels are in rectangle shape. I do know that subpixels can be placed for an optimal picture in horizontal mode and this could also be a reason why I don't like my monitor in portrait mode.

Windows 7 can not really split a monitor into a virtual two monitor setup. I have used a two monitor setup and I like it in general, it is great for coding! However most of the time I only need one monitor, so I have sold the additional monitor. In general, I prefer to have one product than having two as it is easier to manage. And I prefer to have a larger font. I would of course use the 46 inch monitor a few meters away from my desk, that's for sure.

I am only used to EIZOs and I even dislike the newer EIZOs as their panel quality looks worse. I usually use my monitor with 50 cd/m2 brightness, most monitors have a minimum brightness of 100 cd/m2. It is possible that the brightness of a monitor a few meters away is not so worse for my eyes, I do not know that.

So: For work: Use multiple Screens. for fun, use one big!
There is wisdom in that :)

Samsung sell 46" monitors now? I'm only aware of 46" samsung tv's and as pointed out these will have a low res. The only point in getting a big monitor is if it has a higher res. Go with a 30", you probably won't need more. I personally would rather have a 30" high res than a few small lower-res monitors. I've never got used to working on multiple monitors.

The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster HE46A LED which sells starting from 1.300 Euro. From what I see, no remote etc. But you can use it as a TV.

the only physical difference between a flatpanel computer monitor and a flatpanel tv is a tuner and extra inputs.
You made something wrong, when you need your computer to watch a dvr.
PC to work: Multiple Screens. I just thinking about a 3rd 22" Monitor on my Desk. The Desk won't be in a Living or Bedroom. The bunch ob PC stuff really not is a living room object.
There is a PS3, a huge TV and rellay good speakers. No Work!

So: For work: Use multiple Screens. for fun, use one big!
You didn't really read my post did you...my computer IS the dvr...a central one for my whole home. I am replacing it with a real server to act as my server but that is not the point. The point is I have a 40 tb dvr. How big is the one from your cable company...and how many shows can you record before you have to make space?

I seem to be learning to and coding addons and mediasite defs for xf at the same time so I would have to argue that one big monitor is not for work...though i find it fun. I can do anything you can do with four monitors, but you cant watch a full screen movie without breaking up the video into 4 quadrants (assuming you setup your monitors in a square orientation..if you didn't you can't even do this.) and then you still have gaping spaces between sections of video. Buying 4 monitors that can only be used as screens for your pc is a waste.

pretty much....most decent and halfway new laptops have a video out port and windows allows you to extend or clone your desktop by default. But a desktop you need a video card with multiple outputs or multiple video cards.

I use a 30" Apple Cinema HD display... I got a 2nd one to do a dual monitor setup, but ended up putting it on a different computer. Dual 30" monitors was more screen real estate space than I needed and two of those things on my desk was just annoying.

Desktop spaces work fine for me if I really need a lot of screen space (just define a new virtual desktop and assign a hotkey to toggle to it).

Display Fusion is the best ive tried so far
Display Fusion
I have used Ultramon for a long time. Works for me. My needs aren't super intense. I have Ultramon on 9 dual monitor setups (and growing) - one of those is a quad monitor setup. What was the clincher for why you liked Display Fusion ? Anything in particular ? I'll probably try it anyway ... but my time is sadly scarce these days :( Thanks for the tip regardless :). If I ever find / fund a good community content creation tool .... lists / reviews of software could make for a great community. Being a software whore keener myself, I'd have 25 years of software experience to bring to the table.
I use a 30" Apple Cinema HD display... I got a 2nd one to do a dual monitor setup, but ended up putting it on a different computer. Dual 30" monitors was more screen real estate space than I needed and two of those things on my desk was just annoying.
Desktop spaces work fine for me if I really need a lot of screen space (just define a new virtual desktop and assign a hotkey to toggle to it).
I try to mount my monitors to the wall, so they don't take up space on the desk. You do bring up a good point, dual monitors, especially widescreen monitors ... can be too wide. The setup I and using here is ...
dual.monitor.setup.windows.display.settings.and.LCD.sizes.room6.webp

monitors are mounted to the wall. They tilt swivel on the wall nicely.
works for my needs (document creation, document reading, web browsing, MS paint, OneNote, PDF articles, gmail, Outlook, etc.)
runs well on a $40 graphics card.

The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster HE46A LED which sells starting from 1.300 Euro. From what I see, no remote etc. But you can use it as a TV.

The resolution of that monitor is 1920x1080p. I would not recommend buying it. Low resolution on big monitors look awful. Also, it's advertised as a TV, not a monitor. I suspect this display is designed for shops to display content to their customers in-store where you need low resolution on a large scale so that customers can read the advertisements. If you want a decent big monitor, be sensible and get a 30" with high resolution. You won't regret it :)

I have used Ultramon for a long time. Works for me. My needs aren't super intense. I have Ultramon on 9 dual monitor setups (and growing) - one of those is a quad monitor setup. What was the clincher for why you liked Display Fusion ? Anything in particular ? I'll probably try it anyway ... but my time is sadly scarce these days :( Thanks for the tip regardless :). If I ever find / fund a good community content creation tool .... lists / reviews of software could make for a great community. Being a software whore keener myself, I'd have 25 years of software experience to bring to the table.

I try to mount my monitors to the wall, so they don't take up space on the desk. You do bring up a good point, dual monitors, especially widescreen monitors ... can be too wide. The setup I and using here is ...
View attachment 23062
monitors are mounted to the wall. They tilt swivel on the wall nicely.
works for my needs (document creation, document reading, web browsing, MS paint, OneNote, PDF articles, gmail, Outlook, etc.)
runs well on a $40 graphics card.
It was just very easy and had everything I needed as well as using hardly any resources, personal taste I guess. When I was using Ultramon it just seemed like it wasn't right (somethings bugged me)

As for a set up I have 2 widescreen's side by side and one normal monitor on the wall to the left of me "just showing random stats and rss feeds etc..) not a great set-up but it works for me ;)

The resolution of that monitor is 1920x1080p. I would not recommend buying it. Low resolution on big monitors look awful. Also, it's advertised as a TV, not a monitor. I suspect this display is designed for shops to display content to their customers in-store where you need low resolution on a large scale so that customers can read the advertisements. If you want a decent big monitor, be sensible and get a 30" with high resolution. You won't regret it :)
1920x1080 is not a small resolution. Any decent tv can be used as a computer monitor.

dual monitors are much better than one large one.
With the dual monitor set-up my computer feels like two desktops running side by side. I watch a movie full-screen on one and BS here using the other one at the same time.

One big monitor = more time spent dealing with the screen clutter. It gives a crowded city bus feeling.

Top Bottom