No-indexing the Off Topic?

Harvey

How many have an "Off Topic" forum?

Have you ever thought about "no-indexing" it?

Is that possible in the CMS, without editing the template?

I always wondered if there might be an advantage to this, keeping all (or most) of the UGC on topic.

It's already possible in XF 2.1.x

AdminCP >> Forums >> Node Permissions

Set all to No for Unregistered/Unconfirmed group: that way search bots will never see it.

A little bit of drift: How do updates happen? Do I have to do them myself? How often do they create problems? Is it easy to revert? How do you trouble shoot?
There's an update facility in the Admin Control Panel you can use for most updates (I just ran the 2.2beta1 update in my dev using it) or you can download a zip file from your customer account, unzip it, and upload the files using either FTP or cPanel File Manager (or similar). I always used FTP before the update facility in ACP came along so haven't really tried with cPanel File Manager.

How much work is involved depends on the level being updated.

3rd point updates (so 2.1.x where x is the part being updated) don't usually do more than maybe require a template or two to be fixed. They are mostly security and stability fixes.

2nd point updates (e.g. 2.2) generally require more work but are still not a huge undertaking (in my dev, 2.2b1 broke some templates related to my style and my add-on). They add functionality (e.g. the new thread types and such) but don't generally make major changes in overall design or direction.

First point updates, such as when we went from 1.x.x. to 2.x.x. are the biggies. For that upgrade, add-ons and styles had to be redone.

As far as reverting .... take a backup before running the upgrade. Please. A restore is generally the easiest way to revert. And test the upgrade in a dev environment, a copy of your site with the same styling and add-ons, before upgrading your actual site.

That sounds like it is beyond my understanding. Not even sure how to set up a dev environment.

Did I see a paid feature that might get me some help with this?

Does it make sense to delay doing updates until others who know more can report and fix issues?

That sounds like it is beyond my understanding. Not even sure how to set up a dev environment.

Did I see a paid feature that might get me some help with this?

Does it make sense to delay doing updates until others who know more can report and fix issues?
There's a whole thread/document around here on creating a dev but it does get fairly technical. I come from an IT background (20+ years with two different employers) so it was fairly easy for me to pickup but if you don't have that background, you'll probably need some help or spend some time learning.

There is an option to pay Xenforo to do your installs and upgrades, but they won't help with a dev, I don't think. However, there are some good admins/consultants around here who could help you get up to speed and assist with stuff.

The only thing I tend to delay updates for is if my styling or add-on need to be updated. Then I will generally wait for those developers to release. My only exception is that I won't use a beta on a production system. I will definitely wait for at least a Release Candidate or final release. However, Xenforo only does betas for 2nd and 1st point releases, not routine 3rd point updates so those small updates (2.1.11 should be the next one for 2.1) I generally just test quickly and then deploy.

If you can install XF then you can set up a test/development installation.

There are a few more steps but it's well within the capabilities of most site admins.

A few guides.

Top Bottom