My PC starts up for 3 seconds, then shuts down.

Do you have access to another monitor or screen, what sort of connection are you using, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort? You need to rule things out and try using the onboard, no point spending money when you may be spending it in the wrong direction.

I need a Serial port, but I don't own any screens with that, nor adapters. And it's so outdated it's hard to find here..

I'd honestly disconnect and unplug all power from the unit for about three or so minutes. There maybe residual power floating on the board with instructions to kill the board to protect it.

Done that, nothing happens.
That's not a very good board, predates MSI's recent catch up with other motherboard makers (they are still not great)

I would say it is the primary suspect, but I'm not certain

So basically a new motherboard would be the most plausible solution? Goodbye savings :D

I have tried disconnecting everything one by one, but the problem persists..
I haven't moved my PC or anything. It's possible that something just snapped or something, but I don't know what or why.

Remove ALL but 1 stick of ram (make sure you check the manual to see which slot to use with 1 stick)

Remove ALL HDD/DVD EXCEPT the primary boot drive

Remove ALL USB devices EXCEPT keyboard and mouse

Remove ALL PCI devices INCLUDING your graphics card

You said you don't have the right connection, bring your PC to another screen or being another screen to your PC its your choice but this is a step you need to do.

There's no point attempting to skip any steps.

I have done all that and the problem persists..

Usually it wouldn't, it would start booting and halt, but not power down if a memory problem. But said test it because I don't know if maybe some motherboards are designed to power down with it, you have nothing to lose testing it. But do agree, usually from my experience it wouldn't and just halt during boot-up with a bad memory stick detected.

Sounds like motherboard or CPU, I wouldn't rule out the CPU being at fault, not if messing around in the case. And his symptoms of starting for 3 seconds and shutting down is exactly what mine kept doing and was the CPU.

There are reports of the 3 second problem being a faulty PS so that doesn't prove much :(

Ah I've just seen your MOBO, you don't have onboard graphics.

Can you clear CMOS and yank the card out anyway, power it up without being able to use a display, does it still shut down after 3 seconds?

Just tried putting my old graphics card in (which wasn't totally broken), and it shows absolutely nothing when I'm starting it up @ the screen..

What can you guys make out of that?

If theres a CPU, Graphics or Memory fault your motherboard will usually beep at you.

Sounds like a dead mobo if you have none of that.

If theres a CPU, Graphics or Memory fault your motherboard will usually beep at you.

Sounds like a dead mobo if you have none of that.

Alright then.. A mobo is the only thing I have never replaced.
Can someone tell me what I need to look at, what the best constructors are...?

It of course needs to fit in my current case (Antec Gamer 300)
It should support intel iX processors, USB 3.0 and at least have some default graphic thingees.

Maybe some motherboard models might bleep on CPU fault, don't know? But in my case it didn't though. Pressed power on and more or less right away cut out seconds after. No bleeps, no nothing, not even any coloured error light on motherboard lit to indicate CPU fault in manual. Bought a new PSU and installed that, same thing dead. Took PSU back and got refund, decided as a last ditched effort (thinking motherboard was broke) to install a spare CPU still had, a slightly inferior model to one upgraded to installed. Bingo, started up and all was perfectly fine.

Might not be his CPU, but from first-hand experience is why I say don't rule it out. I thought same thing, has to be PSU at fault and why I bought one first, then thought has to be motherboard next, but tested other CPU for the sake of it before going buying a new MB. That was the culprit.

Take the CPU out the PC, visit you local computer shop and ask them to test it for you.

Vinny if you own a voltage meter please save yourself some time and money and check the voltage going into your mobo. Not sure on what pins you check at the moment but google should know.

I had a 3 month old Mushkin 800watt PSU die on me and it did exactly what you are describing. I'm certain you'll find it's the PSU.

I've had clients who encountered this problem and 95% of the time it was a PSU issue.
Replace it with a newer PSU.
I only use Corsair branded power supplies.

Hello guys,

First of all, I'd like to thank you guys for your quick help! (Quick in the good way, I posted it and received 3 pages of help in one day :))

I have decided to only keep my graphics card (and hope it's not damaged) and start building a new PC.
I'm going to post my specs in a new thread and hope you guys will check it and tell me if it's good and what you would do better :)

To anyone who reads this, from now on: Create your own build, don't buy your PC from the local PC store if you're planning on modifying it in a few years :)

Thanks, really!

Why didn't you buy a new PSU and replace it first, see if that fixed the PC problem. Even if it didn't, you'd still have a PSU there for your new build.

Why didn't you buy a new PSU and replace it first, see if that fixed the PC problem. Even if it didn't, you'd still have a PSU there for your new build.

Because I was already planning on upgrading my PC to an i5 processor. I had to replace the motherboard etc. anyway in a few months.

It seems safer this way and now I know what I put in :)

BTW: If I'm ever going to run a server, I'll start creating it from the ruined PC :)

Hello,

I have placed an extra HDD in my computer because I had received Windows 8 from my dad.

I had connected all the cables, but when I wanted to power on my computer my PC acted normal for 3 seconds but then it shut down.

I have recently placed a new Graphics Card: VGA Sapphire Radeon HD7870 OC 2GB, this is a pretty good card so I was worried that it was broken.

This doesn’t seem to be the case, because I removed the graphics card and the problem still occurs.
I removed my original + new hard disk + dvd writer + all the ram and the problem persists.

My question is: Is the power supply or the motherboard broken?
The most logic explanation for me is that the power supply is broken. The Graphics Card uses a lot of energy already and the new hard disk probably overloaded the power supply.

What is your opinion? What should I replace first?

I hope you can give me some advice, as I use the PC very often.
- Vincent
I had this happen to a some of my computers. I am not an expert but it has always been a power issue in my case. Unplug some stuff and try again to test and see if it is.

Top Bottom