Fixed Media mirroring feature makes disk space limitations useless

snoopy5

Affected version
Newest version in MG and XF (2.2.15)

Hi,

I just synced a few subforums of my XF installation to the MG (mirroring).

The problem is, that all images, which were uploaded in these subforums in the past fill up immediately the maximum allowed disk space for that user with his usergroup in MG, although he never uploaded something directly into the MG.

If this is intended, it does not make sense. The counting for the maximum disk space in MG ACP should be independent from any mirroring. The feature to limit the disk space is a feature for MG, not for XF or there should be independent settings for both. But as it is now, the mirroring feature of MG makes the disk space feature in MG useless.

How can change the code to make these settings independent from the mirroring feature?

Why not set the MG usergroup permission to unlimited and leave the regular usergroup permission to whatever limit you need.

There are no settings for disk space for usergroups in XF ACP.

That is a feature of MG and only appears once you installed MG.

This MG feature limits only the disk space you use WITHIN MG.

The same user can still upload without limits in the forum.

So this is obviously a bug in MG.

The disk space limitation for MG should not count images, that are mirrored from the forum, because they were uploaded in the forum and not in the gallery.

2 different planets.

There are no settings for disk space for usergroups in XF ACP.

That is a feature of MG and only appears once you installed MG.

This MG feature limits only the disk space you use WITHIN MG.

The same user can still upload without limits in the forum.

So this is obviously a bug in MG.

The disk space limitation for MG should not count images, that are mirrored from the forum, because they were uploaded in the forum and not in the gallery.

2 different planets.
Screen Shot 2024-05-04 at 1.57.39 PM.webp

That is the setting for MG only, as I explained earlier.

I am surprised that noone detected this bug earlier.

Does nobody use the mirror feature of MG?
I use it extensively. I mirror every one of my forums. You can set upload quotes in ACP user groups and then again in XFMG just click permissions in your mirrored MG.

then again in XFMG just click permissions in your mirrored MG.

There is nothing to set for disk space quota in the mirrored MG, only for file size. See screenshot:

Screenshot_20240504-214845.webp

File size is not the problem I am talking about. Maximum allowed disk space within MG is the problem. Disk space and file size are two totally different things.

You can set upload quotes in ACP user groups

I did already. There is only one place to adjust the disk space settings for MG within ACP/user group permissions. See screenshot

Screenshot_20240504-215209.webp

The bug is, that MG includes all attachments which are in the mirrored categories also in the calculation of the maximum allowed storage of MG.

This should not be the case, because it destroys with that this disk space feature of MG.

If a user uploaded i.e. 50 MB of images in the forum, he is because of the bug with the mirrored categories already well above the maximum allowed storage I set in MG, although he never used the MG and now will never be able in the future.

He still can upload images in the forum without problems. But not in MG.

Last edited:
Give people some peace on their weekend.
Season 2 Home GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Last edited:
Why are you tagging staff members a few hours after posting the bug report?

Sorry, but there was no reaction at all after 36 hours and this is a severe design flaw which makes the MG addon unusable.

This basic bug should have been detected before this mirroring feature was released.

I made a huge announcement to my users with this feature and they kill me now, because none of my users can use the MG anymore at the moment.

Friday is not a week-end for me.

You tagged names on their weekend time, about 21 hours after posted the topic. If your employer intruded on your personal time for a non-emergency, how would you feel?

Let people have their personal time, your forum is not going to end over this. It will likely be addressed in the next release, not this weekend.

There is nothing to set for disk space quota in the mirrored MG, only for file size. See screenshot:

View attachment 302190

File size is not the problem I am talking about. Maximum allowed disk space within MG is the problem. Disk space and file size are two totally different things.

I did already. There is only one place to adjust the disk space settings for MG within ACP/user group permissions. See screenshot

View attachment 302191

The bug is, that MG includes all attachments which are in the mirrored categories also in the calculation of the maximum allowed storage of MG.

This should not be the case, because it destroys with that this disk space feature of MG.

If a user uploaded i.e. 50 MB of images in the forum, he is because of the bug with the mirrored categories already well above the maximum allowed storage I set in MG, although he never used the MG and now will never be able in the future.

He still can upload images in the forum without problems. But not in MG.
Okay I see, that is a problem. Mine are all set to unlimited and never noticed the XFMG didn't have tha6 additional setting.

It will likely be addressed in the next release, not this weekend.
This is not a minor bug. MG stopped working. Nada. Nothing.

No user can upload images in the MG at the moment.

We can not wait weeks for a new release. We need a fast hack in the code for the time beeing.

This is not a minor bug. MG stopped working. Nada. Nothing.

No user can upload images in the MG at the moment.

We can not wait weeks for a new release. We need a fast hack in the code for the time beeing.
Well a solution for the time being is to raise the limit in the main user group.

Well a solution for the time being is to raise the limit in the main user group.

I introduced the MG two days ago to have something to bring on the table for premium members. I made advertisement etc. for it.

If I allow now for the time beeing uploads without disk space limitation in the MG, all free users will upload many images and you can not delete them afterwards to get them back on a lower quantity.

Then the opportunity to get more premium members is lost for months, because they do not feel the urgency to upload even more images.

Sorry, but there was no reaction at all after 36 hours and this is a severe design flaw which makes the MG addon unusable.
It hardly is severe, in fact I'd almost say this is working as designed.
The quota is checked against what is currently stored for the user when a new upload is made.

It doesn't check wether the current media for a user was uploaded to XFMG by that user, mirrored from outside XFMG or uploaded by a different user (that was merged or imported).

Though I agree that this can be confusing and should probably be changed.

I made a huge announcement to my users with this feature and they kill me now, because none of my users can use the MG anymore at the moment.
The workaround is easy: Disable quota.

I am sorry, but this certainly isn't a showstopper issue - you will have to wait.

If this is changed it might only be implemented for XFMG 2.3 anyway.

Last edited:
Only raise the premium limit only.

Same problem. There are so many images in the mirrored categories, that I would have to lift any kind of restrictions.

The combination of mirroring categories and disk space limitations makes MG since 10 years for the first time an added value for image oriented forums.

Without a working solution, MG is useless as before. I deleted already in the past many MG licences. because the upgrade costs were not worth it for the features you get compared with using XF alone.

Top Bottom