Idle Chatter | A General Discussion Community

No fancy updates to post but I've moved my site from KnownHost to @MattW hosting services today. What a guy, what more can I say. Done an amazing job. I couldn't be happier.

For now, we wait until I'm ready and able to upgrade to XF2.3, it will probably be well into the second half of the year before I even consider it but today was the first step towards that process.
Your work ethic and drive is my inspiration. Not trying to be 'cheese' - just honest!

Okkaaaaaaaay, lets try and get this showcase back on track...

Made some little tweaks to my "Book Club" section, this should be the final adjustments as we mirror the layouts of the other addons by @Bob that we use.

bookclub1.webp bookclub2.webp

Another addon from Bob with a slight tweak is our Recipe Book (Showcase addon), I wanted the discussion thread associated with the item to have the exact same layout...and now it has, icons and all.

recipesthread.webp

I've purchased and installed Enhanced Search (mainly for the new XF2.3 features) and tweaked the Similar Threads widget so it mirrors my thread list layout...

ES1.webp

And I've started work on replacing my current social groups with the Social Groups addon by DBTech - this is something I'm hoping to finalise for when I upgrade to XF2.3/3.0

SG1.webp

I'm also looking at moving away from the Audentio Feeds addon and hopefully will have something in place for the upgrade but maybe XF3.0 will have a feeds feature, who knows 🤷‍♀️

I'm also looking at moving away from the Audentio Feeds addon
I tried it in testing and the staff hated it (and I didn't see the point to it), so I uninstalled it fairly quickly. With our visitors, they skew older, and have used forums like ours for decades--it's what they are familiar with.

It's just a matter of knowing the community and what they expect. The addon may work well for some sites, in other words.

Been offline for two weeks and my brain is still on holiday but I've managed to cobble together a few updates....mainly tidying up code and small layout adjustments.

Small changes to my member profiles, mainly to the profile post comment system. I was also missing some icons so they've been added.

profile.webp

Slight adjustment to thread comments too...might look at switching addons for this once XF2.3/3 come out

thread_view.webp

I helped fund a new update to the Music Thread Starter addon by @Ozzy47 and his team - I've now modified my layout to accommodate the update

music_thread_list.webp music_thread_view.webp

Similarly to the TV and Movie thread starter addons, stats now show if members like an album, have listened to it, and/or actually own it. Another change means that they can now import all the albums by an artist at once instead of one at a time. This addon is probably underused on my site so hopefully the changes will increase activity.

The changes have also been implemented into my Toplist addon so members can now create their own music lists and other members can vote whether they like or dislike the album

music_toplist.webp

And I added some missing bits to my Book Club...this time I do think the layout is complete

bookclub.webp

As always, thanks for looking :)

Am I to understand that this is a custom add-on? It looks great and I would love to do something like this on my forum.

Attachments

• stats.webp
    stats.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 16
Am I to understand that this is a custom add-on? It looks great and I would love to do something like this on my forum.
No. It is the newest members widget and forum stats widget which are both core (if I remember correctly) and a members recently online addon that I don't think is available anymore. I've just joined them all together using an html widget and styled it.

No. It is the newest members widget and forum stats widget which are both core (if I remember correctly) and a members recently online addon that I don't think is available anymore. I've just joined them all together using an html widget and styled it.
Is it possible to do something similar for me for some fee?

Sorry, no. There is a huge difference between doing stuff for my own site and doing it for someone else. I'm no coder and have little computer knowledge.

That's a bit of a stretch, you've got to have more than a reasonable understanding to be able to create something as good as your site!! ;)

Never mind the hours you will have put in to get it "just so"!! Excellent work @Gemma

Giving mobile devices, mainly tablets, some layout love today. An area I often neglect 🙈 📱👌

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240527_081806_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20240527_081806_Chrome.webp
    70 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240527_081836_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20240527_081836_Chrome.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240527_081857_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20240527_081857_Chrome.webp
    90.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240527_082123_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20240527_082123_Chrome.webp