XF 1.3 How to upgrade to XenForo 1.3

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Brogan submitted a new resource:

How to upgrade to 1.3 - Important information and actions to be taken

As XenForo 1.3 introduces many new features and functions, as is typical with a second point release, there are several specific things which need to be considered when upgrading.

Take a backup of the database before you do anything!
See here for how to backup (and restore):...

Read more about this resource...

Please note that in order to keep this discussion thread relevant and informative, off topic and other non-relevant posts will be removed.

The general feedback thread is here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-3-general-discussion-feedback.67122/

Fatal error: Class name must be a valid object or a string in /home/content/67/******/html/forum/library/XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.php on line 46
Same here, and i reuploaded twice .. and it's same error

Last edited:
I've reuploaded everything in the Upgrade folder and am still getting the following error when going to acousticonly.com/install:

"Fatal error: Class name must be a valid object or a string in/home/content/91/6659591/html/acousticonly/library/XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.phpon line 46"

Which FTP application are you using.
Most of the problems we see are due to FileZilla.

Try again using WinSCP.
Both times I just logged into the FTP (hosted by GoDaddy) through Windows Explorer. Never had an issue previously but I'll try one of your recommended apps.

EDIT: Not Internet Explorer but just a regular Windows Explorer window.

Both times I just logged into the FTP (hosted by GoDaddy) through Windows Explorer. Never had an issue previously but I'll try one of your recommended apps.

EDIT: Not Internet Explorer but just a regular Windows Explorer window.
Hmmm....never tried it that way. Make sure you are uploading in the correct mode...

Upgraded last night from 1.2.x to 1.3.1. Upgrading some add-ons, deactivating add-ons and install the upgrade then turning them on worked like a charm.
The whole upgrade process was really smooth and nothing changed on templates etc.
Stunning software and service. Thanks guys for making this experience a fun.

Ended up with a very weird issue when doing an upgrade from 1.2.4 to 1.3.1.

Once I go to the site/install and enter in my admin creds, it then goes to site/install/index.php?upgrade and everything is blank.

Am trying the copy of the files across once more and hopefully it will work. Any suggestions beyond perhaps a bad copy that everything would be blank?

If it's the site in your customer area then it is already upgraded to 1.3.1.
Maybe I misworded the items.
I did download and then did the copy over and went to run the upgrade. Just after entering my admin password then both Chrome and Firefox come back as blank. No steps to go through, etc.
When hitting the admin page, just to double check "The board is currently waiting to be upgraded. Please complete the upgrade."

So am preparing to rollback to a previous version, but thought there might be something else I could try to actually get the steps to show up on the upgrade screen, so that I could step through them.

I took a look earlier and there was no upgrade pending.

Now I'm getting an "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket" error.

I took a look earlier and there was no upgrade pending.

Now I'm getting an "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket" error.

Still shows off the admin.php page that there is an upgrade to be completed.

Am about 30% of the way through copying the files across again to see if it will tell me anything on the page when /install.

Worst case will do a file restore to get back to original version and then step to a full db recovery if needed.

Just seems very weird as other upgrades have gone so smooth.

Recopy of the install files did not work, so will revert back to the last backup of the directories. There were zero bd interactions since the site was offline for the upgrade, so should be clean there.

Since no real suggestions of possible issues, I am going to load this into a bubble and see if it can be successful. Worse case could be a new install and then import the database as perhaps something else is being weird in the backend.

Thanks though.

As I said, when I visited your site, there was no upgrade pending notice, so something didn't go right.

You appear to have deleted the install now so it won't be possible to further troubleshoot it.

The command line process is generally an advanced method and the system should prompt you if it thinks it's beneficial (mostly for larger installations doing significant upgrades) and give you a system-specific path to use.

But otherwise, it really is just one command (beyond the standard uploading process).

My point is that is just not documented anywhere - I've got a large forum and it takes hours to upgrade , even minor upgrades could take a long time if indexes on large tables change - the first time I upgraded I went through the instructions as per upgrading - only to find my browser crashed out after a while, fortunately that was a dry run and I had to search for a while before I found a reference to it hidden deep within a post that I had overlooked the first time around.

Now that I am upgrading again I had to search around for the reference - I certainly wasn't going to kick it off in a browser in the hope that the system would tell me that I was doing it wrong and stop me

Even for smaller forums, it is a good way of upgrading for the advanced user - output is to console so failures should be easier to track, especially if failure was a result of some add-on.

I ran the command line upgrader yesterday morning, and it went mostly OK. We went from 1.2.x to 1.3.1. Members are liking the new features!

However, I lost my Internet connection somewhere around the "1.3 Alpha 9" (or whatever it's called) portion of the upgrade, which was doing something with the IP address table. It seems that the upgrade continued where it left off when I restarted it, although I kicked open "mytop" to see that the query from the first attempt was still running.

We've have since had a few quirks in searching for IP addresses, although I had a really stupid moment and forgot that we still had the "Partial IP Search" add-on installed. I've disabled that, and have the moderators testing out IP searches again.

I'm just wondering if anything really got corrupted by this or not. No error messages were thrown at any time during the upgrade process, and I'm seeing no server log errors either. It seems like there are a lot of checks in the upgrade script to keep the procedure running smoothly. It did feel better (to me) to do the upgrade at the command line though.

Top Bottom