XF 2.1 How to have "New posts/content" show read and unread

beerForo

How would you change the default behavior of "New posts" (and other new content) to include read content in the list, without the user having to remove the "show only: unread" filter in the sub-nav? And also can the user change this somewhere as well if changed by admin? Thanks!

The user can define their preference by editing the filter and saving it as the default. However, there isn't a direct way to change the default -- this is specified in code -- so it would need an add-on.

@Mike What's cumbersome is there is not a quick menu to Latest Posts (read/unread). I like a quick and easy way to navigate New and Latest respectively. "What's New" actually shows Latest posts which just adds to the confusion since Latest usually means read+unread.

What's cumbersome is:
  • Click What's New from menu (New usually signifies Unread but...)
  • The results are a truncated list of Latest posts (read and unread) and content. Okay this is fine as it's what I would want, "Latest," but...
  • Click to "View More" and you are still seeing read posts in the list (makes sense so far) but the menu that is highlighted has switched to New Posts. Not the native behavior of that tab, so one might expect that tab to behave that way. Click New Posts directly, and you get the filter for unread only. These actions contradict each other as they are the unsaved default behavior.
I did find that this link "https://xenforo.com/community/whats-new/posts/?skip=1" with skip=1 (the filter I assume) works as Latest, perhaps I will use that as a menu item somewhere.

But I wish the language and expectation was a bit more intuitive and we could get some admin settings.

Thanks for reading.

Top Bottom