How popular are Profile posts on your Forum?

i meant to say that xenforo doesn't include them in the sitemap therefore they dont generate any traffic
You bring up a point though, something to consider for anyone who's allowed profile posts for any good amount of time - they're indexed content, and suddenly disappearing all the profile posts might hurt SEO. Search engines index links of your site, sitemap or not.

Well, really. For example we all know robots.txt doesn't actually block anything. And recently we've found out that google indexes private message titles in xF. Not the content of the messages, mind you. Just the titles of the conversations. You'd reasonably think that wasn't published! You'd reasonably think that was blocked.

Great handle name by the way.

You bring up a point though, something to consider for anyone who's allowed profile posts for any good amount of time - they're indexed content, and suddenly disappearing all the profile posts might hurt SEO. Search engines index links of your site, sitemap or not.
yeah right! most of the time deindexed links or excluded links are profile post or conversations ... if you check in your error area.

Depends on what you mean by "blocked."
i think he is talking about blocking them using the robots.txt file or build in options.

Not the content of the messages, mind you. Just the titles of the conversations. You'd reasonably think that wasn't published! You'd reasonably think that was blocked
yes the bot just crawls everything but its up to googles core to decide what to index or not depending on your exclusions, but this is never indexed..

but this is never indexed..
If they show up in searches, they are indexed.
If guests can't see it bots can't.
Bots see what guests see.
With the exception of conversation titles in xF?
blocking them using the robots.txt file
That doesn't block anything. It's a signpost, basically saying "please don't crawl this page." They can still crawl that page. The unfriendly ones definitely do.

well if your using DB credits then you will understand me... because I have over 700k links excluded and those are just transactions made by the addon and others are conversations links

That doesn't block anything. It's a signpost, basically saying "please don't crawl this page." They can still crawl that page. The unfriendly ones definitely do.
with me Im Okey crawling everything and indexing it but the problem is they leave the boring errors in the webmaster dashboard for me to fix or work on.

with me Im Okey crawling everything and indexing it but the problem is they leave the boring errors in the webmaster dashboard for me to fix or work on.
I can't make heads or tails of that, but what you brought up before does add a consideration for people who have been allowing profile posts, then suddenly disappear them.

If you have Tapatalk installed, among its many issues is that there are things that are hidden to guests on your forum that are not hidden by Tapatalk. I learned this to my dismay when I found vBulletin content that was supposed to be visible to logged in members only showing up in Google and was able to track it down to Tapatalk.

If you have sensitive or private content, dump Tapatalk.

I have debated profile posts ever since I got my first copy of XenForo back in 2010.

I think it's a confusing feature. It's called both a "profile post" and "status" in XenForo. I don't see those being the same. To me, a profile post is similar to having your own little blog or forum within the larger forum, but not quite. A status is more like a social media post, not really intended to start conversations based on that post.

Having said that, I should have disabled the feature on all forums I've used it on. Many don't know what it is. A small number of users realize it for what it is--a status or profile post. Others get it confused with private conversations. Some will even post messages to our staff who won't see the post for months since it's not a preferred method of communication. Most don't know, or remember, that this feature is even there. We've also caught a few members sniping at others, or skirting our rules by publishing their thoughts in their profile posts where they know they won't get caught.

Yet, here's an opposite idea. An automotive forum I am a member of just recently converted to XenForo, and I realized I could use profile posts to provide updates on my own vehicles rather than litter the forum with posts or threads that not everyone would be interested in. But unless I link to it in my signature or otherwise call attention to it, the posts will go unnoticed.

So it has its pros and cons, but I'm more on the side of disabling it entirely if I can.

If you have sensitive or private content, dump Tapatalk.
Yes!! Tapatalk has many "holes" in it, and we banished its use several years ago, when we converted our forums to XenForo (back around 2011 and 2012). A few users complained but over the years, they've learned not to ask for it anymore. :)

And recently we've found out that google indexes private message titles in xF. Not the content of the messages, mind you. Just the titles of the conversations. You'd reasonably think that wasn't published! You'd reasonably think that was blocked.

Are you referring to this? That's not Google Search indexing them, that's just analtyics logging the page title/URL when someone visits like it does for any other page that you have Analytics enabled on

Top Bottom