Hotspots by Waindigo [Deleted]

Take in an address and geocode it. ;) I've done it plenty (I've written quite a few store locators in my day) and it usually works out.
Yer, exactly. I assume that's what XenAtendo does.

But we would still want to then rely on the latitude/longitude in case the resulting location wasn't accurate enough and was adjusted slightly or the user wanted to pinpoint a location that didn't have an address.

Yer, exactly. I assume that's what XenAtendo does.

But we would still want to then rely on the latitude/longitude in case the resulting location wasn't accurate enough and was adjusted slightly or the user wanted to pinpoint a location that didn't have an address.
I should be clearer: geo code the address when entered, store it for display, store the latitude and longitude. Should work pretty well, Google's GeoCode API is rather robust and accurate.

Yup, I've used their APIs extensively. :) Although, you may only want to do one or the other sparingly, due to the Usage Limits, we had to talk clients out of some of the features they wanted because of them.

That's the same API (I don't know why they have different ones), but they are both run via the same fundamental technologies. I believe the usage limit applies to both.

That's the same API (I don't know why they have different ones), but they are both run via the same fundamental technologies. I believe the usage limit applies to both.
Oh ok. I was thinking maybe the Javascript one was limited separately for each user.

If I use a mobile device (iPhone, Samsung Galaxy ...), the Latitude - Longitude can automatically locate my current or not?

Ooops, did not realise users can't type in an address to add a location. Is this feature going to be added?

I've used this addon a little bit in the process of specifying the additional functionality which we are paying Jon to add.
Finding a specific location on the map by zooming in using the google map is relatively easy if you are familiar with the area you want to put the hotspot. I can zoom in on house from a whole view of Europe in a matter of moments.
But if it's an unfamiliar address, then without a postcode or address finder of some kind, I think I'd have to find the latitude and longitude using googlemaps in a regular browser and then C+P them into this addon.
I didn't even consider the possibility of using a person's IP to find their current location. You'd think Google's search would do it. They do it nicely here: http://www.infosniper.net/index.php?lang=1
It's not exactly accurate, but it's a good starting point to find yourself on a map.

I've used this addon a little bit in the process of specifying the additional functionality which we are paying Jon to add.
Finding a specific location on the map by zooming in using the google map is relatively easy if you are familiar with the area you want to put the hotspot. I can zoom in on house from a whole view of Europe in a matter of moments.
But if it's an unfamiliar address, then without a postcode or address finder of some kind, I think I'd have to find the latitude and longitude using googlemaps in a regular browser and then C+P them into this addon.
I didn't even consider the possibility of using a person's IP to find their current location. You'd think Google's search would do it. They do it nicely here: http://www.infosniper.net/index.php?lang=1
It's not exactly accurate, but it's a good starting point to find yourself on a map.

I will be using the maps for two things.

1) Users can add themselves to the map, so other users know who is in their area.
2) Add shops in the forums niche, and users can comment/review the shops.

I don't know how tech savvy your forum users are, but mine will not bother adding in shops/their own address unless it is super fast and super easy. This is something I think this addon needs to really complete it and make it awesome. Then again, I am probably using the addon for a very different reason to what it was created for.

Tech savviness is irrelevant, really. The easier it is, the better. Specially when you want them to add information.
The ability to get information from a mobile device can be really beneficial. These days a good % of visitors are on mobile devices and it's possible in many cases to get their location to the nearest few metres. The ability to do this from within Xenforo would be totally awesome.

All the suggested features could be added.

@Stuart Wright and @Dynamic have already made contributions and, if you know the back story to this add-on, you will know that I also contributed to make sure this add-on could be released for free.

As I've mentioned before, the address functionality was not a requirement of the original contributor of this add-on as it was not really appropriate for their site, but I have no problem adding it. If anyone is interested in contributing to this, please let me know.

The same applies to features for importing or automatically determining the user's current location.

Don't forget, if you are considering using this add-on on a commercial site, please bear in mind that you are required to buy a license. Contributing will usually get you a free license.

Just noticed the following query:
Code:
SELECT title, phrase_text
FROM xf_phrase_compiled
WHERE language_id = ?
    AND title IN ('waindigo_hotspot_tab_hotspots')

Should be cached.

Just noticed the following query:
Code:
SELECT title, phrase_text
FROM xf_phrase_compiled
WHERE language_id = ?
    AND title IN ('waindigo_hotspot_tab_hotspots')

Should be cached.
Thanks. Spotted this yesterday actually. It will be cached in the next update.

I will be using the maps for two things.

1) Users can add themselves to the map, so other users know who is in their area.

Would be nice if this info came from the default field in XF.

upload_2013-7-3_21-16-27-png.50597

Does it display a single map with all hotspots or does each user have an own map on his profile page?

Does it display a single map with all hotspots or does each user have an own map on his profile page?
Single map. We have plans to allow multiple maps, but no plans to add maps on user's profiles at present. Please PM if you are interested in contributing to this.

No no, I like the fact that it's just a single map. :D

Thanks for your work, it's going to replace something I made for my vBulletin ages ago. :whistle:

Top Bottom