Duplicate GDPR Problem - Cookie notice at the bottom covers important links (data protection ...)

ceberlin

Affected version
A.f.a.i.k. you can be in trouble within the EU with their new GDPR, if the cookie notice can cover links like data protection and imprint.
(I know that at least in Germany this would be not legal.)

Not sure this template dependent (We use "flat awesome") but it would be good to have a flexible solution

If an obvious break of GDPR rules is "as designed" (which can cost forum customers lots of money if detected), what does this say about the forum maker's philosophy to comply with the law and to help customers to adapt to the new rules?
I do not understand that thinking.

It’s not a break of GDPR rules.

You can always turn the notice off and add a custom one or move it to a different position with CSS.

As long as the notification is above-the-fold so users can easily find the cookies information at first glance, rather than hide it in the footer section or someplace that’s difficult to find you should be fine. If your country adds additional restrictions then it is up to you to sort that.

Those are not german websites :)

As alreay pointed out several times by several customersincluding me, it is a legal requirement in Germany that pages like Privacy Policy and About us/Imprint mut be easily reachable within 2 clicks.
This is not the case if those linkes are in the footer and the cookie notices hides them.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/1-5-20-stable-cookie-notice-overlap-the-impressum-link.147434/
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/cookie-notice-must-not-hide-footer-links.147385/unread

Of course it is not XenForos obligation to fulfill this requirement, it's the webite owner who has to do that.

In XenForo < 1.5.20 the cookie notice did not cause this problem, so this is a regression here and it would be nice if XenForo did smth. to fix this to avoid every single german customer having to do this on their own (or not use standard feature at all).

The fix would be pretty easy as well - just add a padding to body if the notice is being shown so it is fully scrollable to the boottom with the footer links being displayed even if the cookie notice is being shown.

XenForo does not have to comply with every countries laws, that is up to you as the website owner to ensure your site complies with local laws.

Nobody says they have to, only that it would be nice if they did smth. in this case, especially as it is a regression introduced with 1.5.20.

Exactly, it is not a GDPR problem nor a XenForo problem.
It is a "XenForo problem" in the meaning that there is a problem caused by changes introduced by XenForo.
If they did not change the way the cookie notices was displayed there would be no problem with links in the footer getting hidden by it.

Exactly, XenForo did implement those changes to comply with GDPR, but their implementation causes a regression in behaviour.
Would be an interesting challenge to see if this would be considered a defect XenForo has to fix under the "Produkthaftungsgesetz" :)

I say XenForo software should require any member that registers to provide their full name, address, birth certificate and drivers license. That way the software can ensure that people are complying with South Korea's "Real-Name System" law.

Top Bottom