XF 1.3 EXIF Rotation, ACP Searching, Proxying and Change Logging

Here are a handful of new 1.3 features neatly packaged up into a single video for your viewing entertainment...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Update, Jan 15 - Case Sensitivity 101

There have been various questions about what case sensitive searching means in the video...

In a nutshell, without case sensitivity, searching for 'Foo' would return all results containing any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters spelling 'foo', such as 'foo', 'fOo', 'foO' and 'Foo'.

However, with case sensitivity enabled, searching for 'Foo' would only return results that contain exactly 'Foo', while other combinations of uppercase and lowercase letters would be ignored.

Last edited:
It's just occurred to me the link proxy feature might be incompatible with popular affiliate link re-writing services such as SkimLinks and VigLink, which work via JavaScript. Might be worth noting that in the settings, just so people are aware of it. I could be wrong, though.

The only alteration I would like to see is an option to "move" images from the proxy system to my data/internal data folders as attachments, just as a way of cleaning up realy. If it could "import" external images as attachments automatically would be an even bigger bonus.
That would be amazing! I currently do that using meta mirror.

It's just occurred to me the link proxy feature might be incompatible with popular affiliate link re-writing services such as SkimLinks and VigLink, which work via JavaScript. Might be worth noting that in the settings, just so people are aware of it. I could be wrong, though.
I was just going to bring this up. I did see that the link portion can be disabled.

Also @Kier will the image proxy system go back and get all previous posts or just the new ones?

The image proxy is an optional feature, and as seen in the video it will update existing posts once they are viewed to utilize the proxy.

The image proxy is an optional feature, and as seen in the video it will update existing posts once they are viewed to utilize the proxy.
So it'll only do it as the old posts are viewed? I guess that's good...sort of...

So it'll only do it as the old posts are viewed? I guess that's good...sort of...
It's fine as far as I can see.

If an image/link is never clicked again ever, there will be absolutely no need to fetch it and serve it using the proxy as nobody wants to view it.
If someone does view it, then it'll fetch and serve it.

What's the negative?

Good point, and one worth clarifying. (y)

Some Awesome features Kier! (y)

I like the proxy and the user change log. :cool: The link proxy is going to be really usefull.
But i hope we can have an option for the link proxy only.
I would also like to know if it's incompatible with popular affiliate link re-writing services such as SkimLinks and VigLink or not.

The problem with the image proxy for me is that i don't want the images served from my server. I would like to serve them from a CDN.
If there was a trick to pull the hotlinked image from the remote server and serve it from a CDN that would be nice. :D

It would be nice to view the link proxys in order of popularity of clicks, just as a quick way of seeing where people are going on mass.

Nice features though.

GD supports image rotation, and PHP supports reading EXIF data with the appropriate extensions enabled. So I believe it will be available regardless of image processor.

Yes, that was my hope. There is currently a fix that enables rotation but it only works with ImageMagick, hence my questions.

I've just had a thought in regards to the link proxy. Will this have the unintended benefit of discouraging spammers.

If all outbound links are going via the proxy will this take away any benefit spammers will get from dropping links on the forum. I know links are currently no follow but even no follow links still have some seo benefit which is why they still try to spam.

It's fine as far as I can see.

If an image/link is never clicked again ever, there will be absolutely no need to fetch it and serve it using the proxy as nobody wants to view it.
If someone does view it, then it'll fetch and serve it.

What's the negative?
Only negative I see is if an image is removed from the hotlinked server, on an older post, before it can be cached.

Only negative I see is if an image is removed from the hotlinked server, on an older post, before it can be cached.
so run metamirror now before updating to import all the old posts and then going forwards its just the new images that need to be cached.

XF 1.3 is looking better as the weeks go by, I can't wait!
<snip>
Image Proxy - just proves Kier and I are on the same brainwaves or something. Although I saw a couple things in the video that are probably going to make me keep my own.
<snip>

Ditto, I think I'll stick with DP's version of image proxy.

I'm worried that the image proxy feature may be abused due to accepting a URL argument.

Have any considerations been made for preventing attacks such as trying to consume all of a sites storage, bandwidth, or CPU by connecting to the proxy URL with lots of large/varying images? The video made it appear to essentially be an open proxy that handles images over the web, so I suppose we may need to wait for the new version to see how this is abused... But in general, open proxies don't work out so well and it's best to restrict them to authorized users, or in this case, only have it work with links/images posted in the forum.
The proxy system will only serve images when the http referer is its own host server. (Did that make any sense to read?)

Top Bottom