Best GDPR solution

Jon12345

Anyone have a recommendation for the best solution for GDPR for a Xenforo board? I hate the damn popups everywhere. It has ruined the internet!

What do you use for your Xenforo forum?

Just a link to the privacy page outlining the basics of what data is collected and how it is protected, and the cookie message popup (annoying but it's everywhere these days).

The stupidity of the popup message is that every single site uses cookies. It's pointless to tell people every single time they go to a site. I spend all my days clicking popups to get rid of them! Wonder if there are any Chrome plugins to auto suppress them?

Perhaps Xenforo has some decent addons for it.

I don't know. It only takes a second to click the X and close it... or just ignore it if it isn't intrusive.

I think that second point is the key. A small notice at the bottom of the page or in the right lower corner doesn't have much impact on usability. But some sites go over board with huge honking banners or centered popups. Totally unnecessary.

But is this even a thing in Xenforo 2? I'm rarely logged out of the forums I routinely visit but, for example, the site in your signature didn't show me anything when I visited just now... although I think I checked that out previously in another thread so it's possible your cookies are still there even though I'm not a member.

I need to get something implemented, since I only switched to Xenforo recently. I had something on vBulletin, but it was nice and discrete. I just feel that it is unnecessary to add friction to using sites, make the internet a plethora of popups, just because some privacy militants get legislation enforced by those who probably don't understand the internet much. The EU wants to enforce this, but what happens if another country wants to enforce their own legislation, then another and so on? Ten popups!

I just checked out a couple of other sites from member sigs here and there is a banner at page bottom for most (depending on the style) which is reasonably unobtrusive, although with styling it could be mades smaller and still neet the requirements.

One German forum was way over the top though. I think there were three big popups and soon as I hit their main page.

You can edit the notice_cookies template and probably use some styling in extra.less to change the size and location.

When I use my phone, it is impossible to have something unobtrusive.

Much better would be to have one popup when someone first starts their browser that says, "Nearly every single website you go to uses cookies for data, ads, tracking, etc."

The thing is, it is unworkable. The technical complexities of complying are nearly impossible for most website owners.

I will check the addon section and see what they have. I will set something up, but I hate having to. Apparently, the UK and the Netherlands report more than all the other EU countries.

1581434950594.webp

Just a link to the privacy page outlining the basics of what data is collected and how it is protected, and the cookie message popup (annoying but it's everywhere these days).
If you do not have a third party service included, you do not need the cookie popup. Because it is not necessary to point out cookies that are important for the function.

Wonder if there are any Chrome plugins to auto suppress them?
I would advise you to use Firefox, but uBlock can block some of them.

But some sites go over board with huge honking banners or centered popups. Totally unnecessary.
They do this just to stir up the folk against the GDPR.

"Nearly every single website you go to uses cookies for data, ads, tracking, etc."
The point of the popup is that you are not tracked and no cookies are set before you agree, but since there are no penalties, everyone ignores that.

Top Bottom