Will Xenforo ever adopt threaded comment structures (like Reddit)?

I know that Xenforo comments have a flat structure, but is there any chance that the forum software will come to adopt a threaded structure (like Reddit)?

Speaking of flat / threaded comments, which do you prefer? Is there a way to have both types of comments be shown for users?

I know that there might be some bias towards flat (as Xenforo's userbase is accustomed to flat comments), but it would still be nice to know as to which you prefer and why.

Last edited:
Oh wicked, you wouldn't have a screenshot or two of what these looked like, would you? It would be fascinating to see what the early web looked like. :)

Soz, I've just seen your screenshot above.

McMaster University is still running a copy and you were correct it was 1995 when I started using it.
It looks like a version of wwwboard--same layout. Not sure who copied who, though. The wwwboard script was free. I used WebBBS which was a spinoff of wwwboard.

And I'm still looking for a way to import old WebBBS posts. There used to be an import utility for WebBBS -> vB, but vB decided to use a newer version than I have (which wasn't an official version) and of course, they were never any help. My developer chops are pretty much gone as I've gotten older, so I have no way to import those posts myself. And I don't know how an importer would handle those separate branches in a thread...

It looks like a version of wwwboard--same layout. Not sure who copied who, though. The wwwboard script was free. I used WebBBS which was a spinoff of wwwboard.

And I'm still looking for a way to import old WebBBS posts. There used to be an import utility for WebBBS -> vB, but vB decided to use a newer version than I have (which wasn't an official version) and of course, they were never any help. My developer chops are pretty much gone as I've gotten older, so I have no way to import those posts myself. And I don't know how an importer would handle those separate branches in a thread...

If you need a service to do this, DM me. There's not a forum software I haven't been able to import, including many legacy flat file forums such as wwwthreads, dcforum, and even listserve.

If you need a service to do this, DM me. There's not a forum software I haven't been able to import, including many legacy flat file forums such as wwwthreads, dcforum, and even listserve.
I'll keep it in mind. It's not all that critical, but my oldest forum has five years of posts in WebBBS that a lot of us are curious about. The main thing is that there would be a lot of manual editing after import, as I'd have to match old names and email addresses to current ones, and editing out sensitive data--nothing I couldn't handle but on the other hand, I don't have much time for it.

If I could somehow find an older version of vB's Impex tool that supported my version of WebBBS, I could do it myself. And I know I probably have it somewhere, as I did it with a couple of other forums. Yet there are decades of hard drives, floppies, etc. And even in this set I want to import, our first 181 posts are missing...and I know I have a backup somewhere, although again, hundreds of floppies and a handful of Zip discs are something I don't have much time to go through.

Top Bottom