Upgrading established vBulletin 4 site

bengineer

Hello,

I'm looking to migrate an established vBulletin 4 site to XenForo. However, the online demo doesn't allow me to test the full extent of a migration. Do you provide some kind of time-limited demo license for an on-premise installation? We're weighing up the pros and cons of switching to XenForo, or upgrading to vBulletin 5. Half my team want to stick with vBulletin as they think it'll be less painful to upgrade. However, I prefer the technology used in XenForo (particularly the Elasticseach option). However, I'm not keen on recommending it to the broader group unless I can try upgrading our site and seeing the potential challenges that may need to be addressed.

Thanks

Moving from vb4 to xenforo is very easy, there are hundreds of active users on this forum who have done it so if you run into any stumbling blocks there are people to help who have been there, I do a couple every week without any hiccups.

There are however considerably less who have done the same from vb5, so if you decided to go to vb5 first, it may be a lot more effort/difficulty if you decide to go to xenforo after that.

LOL every forum master who run Vbulletin wants merge it to Xenforo, mass escape from Vbulletin.

Me too - tested it already several times - it's great and I will migrate next month!
In any case vB5 is no "vBulletin". So, if you upgrade to vB5 or to XF it will not be vB3/4 anymore.
I recommend XF1.5 at the moment, as the importers work as expected and there are lots of add-on and tricks, to realise things used by vB-users but not available at XF core softeware. And not everything is imported. You have to try and thin about it. Such as "Thank you hack" in vB. But there is an easy way to importat them as "Likes" afterwards.
As soon everything you need is available for XF2 (hopefully with 6 to 18 months), you can easily migrate to XF2.

Such as "Thank you hack" in vB. But there is an easy way to importat them as "Likes" afterwards.

Theres a very easy way to migrate them... several in fact. From inserting them as rep at the VB database, inserting them with a cross database query or even importers for extended post reactions etc.

Top Bottom