Not planned Thread vs Discussion vs Topic

Grover

(devoting a dedicated thread discussion ;) on this)

Triggered by this remark from Floris:

THat resparks the conversation then about calling a thread a discussion and the button still being called a thread, etc.

I thought:
Thread vs Discussion or Topic

Indeed, this is a good point. Overall... I always hated the word 'thread'... on vBulletin and every other board that uses this phrase. When there was not a Dutch translation available for vBulletin at the time... my dutch members kept asking me 'what is a thread'? No clue. I mean when you translate it you get : 'draadje' (which means so much as wire/line (and thread), but people in The Netherlands never ever talk about a 'draadje' when it comes to discussions. Apparently, it is common language/knowledge for English speaking people using a web board(?). As a Dutch person I find it still a bit of a weird word to use on forums... I much prefer [New Discussion] or [New Topic].

Brogan explained:
Thread relates to threaded view, as opposed to flat or linear view.

Ah yes... thanks for pointing this out, because now I realize that this makes the word 'thread' even more non-fitting on XF, perhaps. XF does not use threaded view... you can not select this alternative view... only flat/linear view is possible (which is a good thing IMHO). So if XF doesn't even provide threaded view... why call a discussion a thread then?

Instead of http://xenforo.com/community/threads/fixed-term-for-personal-discussions-vs-conversations.2796 I would prefer:
http://xenforo.com/community/discussions/fixed-term-for-personal-discussions-vs-conversations.2796

Upvote 10
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Looks like the lovely devs fixed the consistency issue.

c97fb6e3fd2242b597c6902.png

a little note about this suggestion:
phpBB uses 'topic', vB uses 'thread' ... so if we wanna make this 'unique' just call it 'Discussion' :)

One aspect of xenForo which I appreciate is that the guys have taken a fresh look at what a forum should do and how it should work. Evolving and re-inventing at the same time.
If this means re-evaluating the common terminology then that's fine.
I think we have to consider foremost what terminology 'Joe Public' will recognise. Many people visiting your forum will have found it in Google and will be unfamiliar with what a forum is. The very first thing we explain in our introduction page is what a post and a thread are. We shouldn't have to do that.
The phrase Bulletin Board, for example, is old fashioned. As is the word 'board' in my opinion. A 'board' is a flat piece of something solid. Like a chess board or floor board. Discussion board? Is that like a plank where people gather to talk about stuff?
The word 'thread' is also confusing. A thread is something used to make clothes. Needle and thread.
A post is something the postman puts through your letterbox.
All these terms are unique to forums and uniquely unintuitive.
Discussion, topic, message and conversation are all *much* better in my opinion.
I don't think we should be influenced by what other software does. I think we should use whatever is best.

Also when we swap from vB to xF, I want to take the opportunity to leave the old, rubbish terminology behind.
So for me, I don't mind whether we use 'topic' or 'discussion', though 'topic' probably gets my vote for being shorter. But so long as we get rid of 'thread' I will be happy.

Discussion is a bit combersome, but I could live with it.
Not as much a mouthful as discussion.
New Discussion imo sounds better but it's awfully long.

Yeah, 'Thread' or 'Topic' sounds/looks more snappier I get your points. Somehow 'Discussion' sounds for me the most social. Put that's just personal opinion... Topic would also be fine, as long as I am not confronted anymore with this 'Thread'-word. Having said that... realize that I will be using a Dutch (hopefully professional) translation on XF, so the problem I have with 'Thread' will have been solved for me personally anyway. (vBulletin's professional Dutch translation uses the Dutch word 'discussie' (discussion) for 'thread' and I was really happy to finally offer a platform to my members without confronting them with terms they simply do not get). I am just thinking globally and when XF doesn't even offer threaded view (assuming this is the main reason for threads to be called... threads), why use this word in first place then? I also hope the official version of XF will come without 'thread'. Yes, I know I can change it in the phrase-managerrrr... ;)

a little note about this suggestion:
phpBB uses 'topic', vB uses 'thread' ... so if we wanna make this 'unique' just call it 'Discussion' :)

That's a nice reason. :)

Discussion, topic, message and conversation are all *much* better in my opinion.
I don't think we should be influenced by what other software does. I think we should use whatever is best.

Also when we swap from vB to xF, I want to take the opportunity to leave the old, rubbish terminology behind.
So for me, I don't mind whether we use 'topic' or 'discussion', though 'topic' probably gets my vote for being shorter. But so long as we get rid of 'thread' I will be happy.

I agree with everything you say, thanks for thinking along and supporting this.

(note to everybody: do not forget to 'Like' the first posting- thanks)

Errr, that was a mockup I did in Firebug to show how Watched Topics would look compared to Watched Discussions.

Here, have one of these facepalm.gif

;) :D

Thanks, I'm not all there today :P I blame lack of sleep.

To get back on the topic; Topic/Discussions sounds more social and more universal than threads (which applies to threaded views).

Topic works for me.
Not as much a mouthful as discussion.

I agree. Discussion is too long. We live in world where we are too lazy to type an extra few characters :p. I am happy with threads though as I am simply used to it after all these years.

PS No sarcasm intended!

Top Bottom