Customizable User Profiles

Grover

Well, well... 'coincidentally' (yes, it's speculation from my part), Internet Brands announced today (right after xenForo presented itself to the world) that Customizable User Profiles have returned to vBulletin. Yes... returned, because Internet Brands decided to completely delete this function from their first alpha release, which they appalingly labbeled 'Gold' at the end of 2009 and let customers pay a premium price for. Making vBulletin unusable for 8 months for people who were actively providing/using Customized Profiles on their vB platforms.

I was wondering: will xenForo provide something like this? I know from experience with the largest Dutch social network (Ning a-like) that a function like that will certainly attract visitors (mostly the younger ones). Personalization is in my view a high priority for any social platform out there.

See also additional notes here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-customizable-user-profiles.306/page-4#post-488173

Please do [like] this first posting if you think it is a good feature suggestion for XenForo

Upvote 12
Because the majority of us don't want everything and the kitchen sink added; it'll just slow down the software.

If it were to be added, we'd want an implementation that wasn't grossly disappointing, like so many features on other platforms have been.

You can just opt out at admin level.
For your second point I think that to be honest a lot of us DO want it all kitchen sink catbasket hairbrushes and all ... doesn't slow it by much.

Nor have I found the immortal M&K to do anything disappointing so far.

You can just opt out at admin level.
For your second point I think that to be honest a lot of us DO want it all kitchen sink catbasket hairbrushes and all ... doesn't slow it by much.

Nor have I found the immortal M&K to do anything disappointing so far.
An implementation like vBulletins profile customization would be bloat; there is no reasonable to add functionality that accomplishes as little as that did.

Sure, you could change block colors, font color, typeface, and add images... But no matter what you did, it never really looked good, and you were extremely limited.

I'm not saying to add it, I'm saying not to add a pointless implementation of it; people are better off without it in that instance.

And for the people that want the kitchen sink, cat basket, hairbrushes and all; wouldn't vBulletin and IPB fit you better then? The whole point of XenForo is to be as efficient and functional as possible, not to add everything members request, defeating the first purpose of the system.

And for the people that want the kitchen sink, cat basket, hairbrushes and all; wouldn't vBulletin and IPB fit you better then? The whole point of XenForo is to be as efficient and functional as possible, not to add everything members request, defeating the first purpose of the system.
Well-said.

Okay, but this is not the point. I also do not like Invisions UI at all. That's the reason why I never saw it as a serious alternative to the excellent vB3.8.

Yes, i like the twitter-background feature, the twitter/facebook updates integration etc....but i prefer the xenforo model for the profile. - Go on social!

Sure, you could change block colors, font color, typeface, and add images... But no matter what you did, it never really looked good, and you were extremely limited.

Well my members have loads of fun with the 3.8 customisation and lots of them create really beautiful designs.
It could be an optional add-on - people like you don't HAVE to have it.
The whole point of XenForo is to be as efficient and functional as possible, not to add everything members request, defeating the first purpose of the system.

So XF main aim is to be a lean mean fighting machine that only a restricted group like = weird.
XF seems to me to be very responsive to what members request. In fact my memory is that what members request being ignored is a whole big issue that led to the creation of XF.

Well my members have loads of fun with the 3.8 customisation and lots of them create really beautiful designs.
It could be an optional add-on - people like you don't HAVE to have it.

So XF main aim is to be a lean mean fighting machine that only a restricted group like = weird.
XF seems to me to be very responsive to what members request. In fact my memory is that what members request being ignored is a whole big issue that led to the creation of XF.

3.8's system is highly limited, but if they did nice designs, great. Doesn't mean adding a borked system is a good idea.

Its been suggested as a core feature; it would also work best as a core feature. 

As Mike and Kier have said, XF's main aim is to be a highly extensible platform that is made to run efficiently as well as provide superior functionality with a new-twist to forum software. Adding in a borked implementation of profile customization would logically fall out of their vision in my opinion, though I could be wrong. Doubt it though, seeing as everything else has been made to be rich and efficient. I'd also say the majority want a -good- implementation, not a restricted group.

They are responsive to member requests, within reason. You're asking them to sacrifice functionality in the need for expediency. Considering the goals they have stated previously, that would be the opposite of what they'd do.

Read my previous responses here, I am against a borked implementation, but I am completely for a good implementation. The difference between them is one is basically bloat and provides no real benefit, while the other allows greater creativity.

I'm also done arguing with you, because you're not willing to see anyones opinion but your own (As shown in other threads), and you're basically baiting. 

Forsaken the idea of a "bad" or "good" implementation is often very varied - different groups can see this very differently. The skill that the developers have to have is to balance those desires and needs that often conflict.
Some areas are easy and have a high consensus. Some are not. What looks obvious to you (or me) is just one sector's point of view, not the "good" view.

For the rest I won't Report you. But if you go on forums and email lists you have to get used to argument because there WILL be disagreement. In this situation here it's constructive because it explores different angles of what admins want for their boards. Please don't spoil the lovely new dawn of XF with this kind of personal sniping. There's been remarkably little of that so far.

If you don't like someone's posts no one is forcing you to read them. Nor do you need to make a big announcement about deciding not to. That is just dumping your private yuck on others. The avatar is nice and big and obvious to warn you so you can skip.

If you were really aware of my posts you'd notice how many times I Like or support other people's ideas, as well as argue against some of them. That I don't share your point of view - and nor do I crumple and fade away if you repeat it - is not so bad really. Get some sleep! Or stroke a cat or eat something tasty or have a relaxing bath :)

Personally I have always turned the customize feature off in my VB forums. Why? Because not everyone is a designer when they customize their profiles and some of them look absolutely awful. I do not want to show that on my site personally when and since I work as a designer a lot of people do not realize that I did not design whatever the user has cooked up in their profile and it turns away clients IMO. Customization never looks right with any custom skin either, to me its just horrible and tacky.

Damien I think you have an excellent point there. For any board that has a reputation to maintain regarding design, or its owner does, this feature is extremely unwelcome. Also for some board owners it's unwanted, because they want a minimalist system with emphasis on efficiency not creativity.

On the other hand, for a board of design focused members it would be an attractive draw. Also for young, lively, or self expressive members where the emphasis is social or creative.

Which goes to show that there are very different constituencies of need here. So the best solution is to have it as an add-on or a mod. High level professional desgn, or minimalist boards don't install it. Strongly social boards or individualist creative ones, do.

so you have had lots of problems with bb code then? so many problems that you reckon bb code should be done away with?
perhaps you have disabled certain bb codes instead?
my entire point in replying is to point out that it is rather selfish to vote down a feature that in all liklihood y9ou could disable.
To be frank, there is a BIG difference between a user's profile and the public forum. If a users decided to 'destroy' the pleasure of visiting their profile by making it as ugly/screaming as possible, then indeed... why care? It is only their profile. And.... we have always a button [show this profile in default layout] or something like that. So, there IS no problem.

But... when users decide to destroy the usability/easy of reading of my public forums, by posting their text in deep pink and size 9 capital fonts, let me tell you there IS a problem then. By using a public forum like that, they make it impossible for my other members to have a pleasant forum reading/browsing experience. I will not allow that to happen. It's a BIG (and obvious) difference.

I fought to get custom profiles back in VB in 4.0 until I moved some of my sites over to IPB. Now I find myself fighting a losing battle over at IPB about custom profiles. Apparently some of the IPB members know more than I can see...one has claimed that the "better" custom profile suggestion was declined. I've even linked to this discussion here since people here seem to discuss the suggestion in a more reasonable manner.

I have wasted a lot of time on this subject alone and it's getting tiresome. It's at the point where negativity against the idea feels offensive now. It's gotten that bad for my end because I'm tired of explaining why our business needs this and why it's a good suggestion...over and over and over again.

I need to have custom profiles for our business site. I've thrown money to this company and that company and have wasted a lot of time trying to find a solution and switching between products. At this point I don't care what script it is, including porting back to VB4 on the next release if I must for now. I tried to get around it with using IPB, but it's not looking good for us.

IPB has custom backgrounds. That was a nice step forward. But, it's not enough. You are still left with the header and footer and all the content areas that do not match unless you pick a background that matches your forum's default style. Even in VB3.8 I had to hack the templates to get rid of the forum's header and footer style so the profile could actually look like the user's style.

I still support this idea, even if I don't continue to explain why over and over and over again. Sorry...I'm about to give up atm.

I personally think that profile customization is a good thing. I just can't promise that it will be available in XenForo 1.0.

I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate this post. Thank you!!!! Thanks for replying.

CallieJo, if it's that important to you, have you tried finding a developer who could make this happen in either script (vB or IPB)? Seems to me that if none of the software companies are willing to do this, then a third-party might be your only hope for now.

Though, with Kier's statement, it sounds like XenForo might be your solution in the future.

Damien I think you have an excellent point there. For any board that has a reputation to maintain regarding design, or its owner does, this feature is extremely unwelcome. Also for some board owners it's unwanted, because they want a minimalist system with emphasis on efficiency not creativity.

On the other hand, for a board of design focused members it would be an attractive draw. Also for young, lively, or self expressive members where the emphasis is social or creative.

Which goes to show that there are very different constituencies of need here. So the best solution is to have it as an add-on or a mod. High level professional desgn, or minimalist boards don't install it. Strongly social boards or individualist creative ones, do.

Exactly! For sites that would be more myspace like it would be a good option.

CallieJo, if it's that important to you, have you tried finding a developer who could make this happen in either script (vB or IPB)? Seems to me that if none of the software companies are willing to do this, then a third-party might be your only hope for now.

Though, with Kier's statement, it sounds like XenForo might be your solution in the future.

I have tried actually, amongst other addons I needed for another community I have. Many good developers are too busy or don't want to do it. I even tried a freelancer months ago and lost money already. The time has come where the ones you trust can't or won't do it and the ones you don't know are risking your money. I've given up and rejoined the suggestions once again for custom profiles built in. Having them built in makes sense and makes it easier in the long run when there are upgrades anyways.

I will be purchasing XF regardless...and keeping an eye on development. It might just be the perfect solution for our business community in the future. We love everything about it so far.

Right now we're stuck as far as our business community is concerned....otherwise, I wouldn't be whining/fighting so much...sorry about that.

Have a splendid weekend*

I have tried actually, amongst other addons I needed for another community I have. Many good developers are too busy or don't want to do it. I even tried a freelancer months ago and lost money already. The time has come where the ones you trust can't or won't do it and the ones you don't know are risking your money. I've given up and rejoined the suggestions once again for custom profiles built in. Having them built in makes sense and makes it easier in the long run when there are upgrades anyways.

I will be purchasing XF regardless...and keeping an eye on development. It might just be the perfect solution for our business community in the future. We love everything about it so far.

Right now we're stuck as far as our business community is concerned....otherwise, I wouldn't be whining/fighting so much...sorry about that.

Have a splendid weekend*
Hmm, that's one thing that really sucks about mods and plug-ins, finding and depending on good, quality developers.

I might try my hand at making one, though it would be quite an undertaking for me since I've never written plug-ins before...

so you have had lots of problems with bb code then? so many problems that you reckon bb code should be done away with?
perhaps you have disabled certain bb codes instead?
my entire point in replying is to point out that it is rather selfish to vote down a feature that in all liklihood y9ou could disable.

Nope, if people are using deep pink and big sized fonts all the time as the fontcolour in every single posting of them, we will send them a kind PM to request they take into consideration the readability of our discussions for the rest of the readers/participants. What they do with their own profile, is up to them. As I said... there is always the button [show this profile in default layout] and there isn't such a thing for the forum, is it? There is a big difference between a profile and the forum.

At this point I don't care what script it is, including porting back to VB4 on the next release if I must for now.

Oh my... you must be the only creature on this living planet thinking about that. :eek:;)

IPB has custom backgrounds. That was a nice step forward. But, it's not enough. You are still left with the header and footer and all the content areas that do not match unless you pick a background that matches your forum's default style. Even in VB3.8 I had to hack the templates to get rid of the forum's header and footer style so the profile could actually look like the user's style.

Is it possible for you to provide some screenshots of what you mean? I would love to see some examples of what you think it should look like.

Well, I posted in this thread and my post(s) disappeared, so I'll post again. Basically, I think any customization offered should be minimal - nothing beyond changing the background image of the page (like Twitter and IPB) and perhaps the font/link color (like Twitter). Allowing everyone to customize the font/size/background color/etc. is just asking for trouble. Look what happened to MySpace. :rolleyes:

I personally think that profile customization is a good thing. I just can't promise that it will be available in XenForo 1.0.

Awesome. The fact you think it's a good thing can only mean good things in future ;)

I'm amazed at the people here shooting down this idea purely for personal reasons "it looks ugly etc" when the amount of people using this little extra speaks for itself. There was enough of a backlash at vb over dropping it in version 4. People do like this feature, and sometimes they come up with some great styling using the options given, it's not like everyone creates a unreadable myspace page, that you, as the admin, find distracting. Maybe you have a immature forum membership, or one with appalling tastes. That's not my problem, and no reason this should be tailored down to your personal tastes.

This suggestion stopped a year ago so time to revive it.

We had Kier saying "I personally think that profile customization is a good thing. I just can't promise that it will be available in XenForo 1.0."

Now it may not be possible for KAM to do it as core.
But since then XF has matured a lot with add-ons and mods. So maybe a profile customisation function could go that way.

To save people trudging through this thread from a year ago basically there is a major divide between those who think user profile customisation is a dangerous plague and those who like it, or even urgently need it.

To the plague side it means risking users making a muckup of designing their profile page - some designs are just very individual, some are simply no good. For an admin running a community focused on her/ his own high quality design work this doesn't reflect well as it can look like it's their work to the uninitiated.
To others on this side it's just an unnecessary complication.

To the support side it can be equally acutely desired - a design based community user wants to display themselves AS a designer!
A socially creative community can also find this desirable - it stimulates both competition and cooperation around ideas; and comments on each other's designs.

Which suggests it definitely needs to be a first level admin toggle to disable, protecting consistent page design, design standards, or minimalism.
But for those that want it, it's very much wanted. I myself have a forum on VB3.7 and obviously I'd love to switch to XF but my users would go ballistic if they lost their beloved profile customisation.

Top Bottom