Implemented Custom profile fields

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Just to add another 'I need this' voice to the thread.

We use them pretty extensively on the forum and we wouldn't move without them, they really need to be in before v1.00

We'd also like to have these. We run a gaming forum, and use profile fields for numerous ways for our users to identify themselves. We not only have the gender fields, but also the gender of the avatar, the society (clan), and then have a bunch of additional fields that are invisible to the user, but tat are used for various tools (For instance a field in the profile table that keeps track of the number of missions finished by a user, which is filled by a custom application (I'll be recreating that as a page)).We also use an add-on to the Arcade system that will display high-scores in the postbit.

Not crucial by any means, but if we can keep those fieldsm, it would be a nice plus :)

As for ways to implement it, in order to ensure we do not end up with a postbit that is a mile long, we use a tabbed modification:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=237867&highlight=forum+tabs

A similar setup but in XF would be fantastic. The ability to add a tab and use that to group certain related fields together is a great way to allow your users to share more about themselves, while avoiding the profiles to become extremely cluttered.

To give you some idea, we currently have tabs for "Real life" (profession, country (with flags), gender, etc), "In-game" (Avatar-Name, society, achievements, etc), Forum (Number of posts, number of wiki edits, achievements, etc) and Arcade. Check the implementation on www.entropiaplanets.com in the postbits if you want a concrete example.

Hi there, like so many before me having the ability to use profile fields is crucial to my switch. I purchased Xenforo on day 1 however I have been patiently waiting for some key mods and features before making the switch. Hope this happens in the near future!

Still no custom profile fields :(

Sad day for upgrading again.

XF please please please make easy to understand custom profile fields!!

Please please add this funtion soon!
In vbulletin we're now using quite a lot custom profile fields. (5-6). We'd like to switch to XF soon, but loosing all this additional info would be dramatic. Would it be possible to all the custom info at a later moment?

Please please add this funtion soon!
In vbulletin we're now using quite a lot custom profile fields. (5-6). We'd like to switch to XF soon, but loosing all this additional info would be dramatic. Would it be possible to all the custom info at a later moment?

If your looking to import data later I don't see why not so long as you keep your backup db's. You would need a way unless one comes with it to rewrite it properly into your xf db once this option would to become available. I am going on what I know...but someone who knows more than me can tell you better

We'd like to switch to XF soon, but loosing all this additional info would be dramatic. Would it be possible to all the custom info at a later moment?
Importer wouldn't be able to import custom fields itself I think, so you would need to do it manually. If you keep your old DB backup, you can do that at anytime really, so I don't see a reason why you couldn't switch to XF right away :)

I run a few private sites that are entirely subscription based. It is impossible for us to collect the needed information from new people without custom profile fields. It is vital to get this information at registration time as it determines the proper membership and usergroup level. I am sure that there are many instances where a cookie cutter registration form...just doesn't "cut" it. This is one of the few "major" things that keep me from using XF in a real world situation. I do have one site that is a lot less restrictive and might be perfect for XF, but I would really like to use XF on all of my sites.

A few custom fields we use:

1. Real name;
2. Referral (which site they found us by--only the staff sees it);

...and we have a dozen others that users fill in that are related to our subject matter. We can probably find another way to tackle those.

I miss some of the stuff we used to have in the postbit, but on the other hand, I like how uncluttered it looks.

Have the devs given any info on whether they plan to implement this, and if so, when? I think this is quite a crucial feature to have for many people before they can switch to XF.

Hope future version = 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1 :) j/k

Already have a couple of mods in mind that I want to develop as soon as CPFs come out.

Top Bottom