XF 2.0 Someone please explain guest posting

Mr Lucky

I have set up a contact forum, so registered users can contact mods. The members view only their own threads, mods see all. This is working fine, so I also set up for guests, hoping that guests can post there simillarly, ie the post is viewable by the one guest who posted and all mods.

So here are the permissions for unregistered group:

Google ChromeScreenshot002.webp

(everything else is inherit)

As expected mods can view and reply to a guest post, however when I have tested as a guest I cannot view and reply in my own post.

The really odd thing is that in that forum I can see a thread started by an actual guest in which they have replied. So that guest obviously can see the thread and reply in it, but not my test guests.

Can anyone explain how this can be? Thanks

EDIT: I just noticed the "actual" guest thread I mentioned appears to be a moderator, as the IP of the guest matches the IP of a mod who replied to it. But I'm still confused as to why I cannot post as a guest there and see my thread ???

Last edited:
The guest can't see or reply to it because there is no user ID to associate with a guest post. All guests have a user ID of zero, so there is no way to tell who should be able to view the post.

At least that's how I see it.

The guest can't see or reply to it because there is no user ID to associate with a guest post. All guests have a user ID of zero, so there is no way to tell who should be able to view the post.

That is pretty much spot on. Only way I see it working is a addon to associate the guest with a IP. But that would not work 100% either if a user has a dynamic IP.

OK, well that makes sense. So the only way for gurst posting is when everything is public, ie both forum and threads are viewable by unregistered.

But what doesn't make sense is the unregistered user (one of the mods) who was able to reply to his own thread as a guest. Yes, the IP is the same, but then so is mine when I do the test and am unable.

OK, I was able to view the guest thread as a guest, but only on Safari, not Chrome or Firefox, so maybe it's cookie based.

However to add a guest reply I had to re-enter a name, and used a different name. All seems a bit odd.

HOK, I was wrong about the browsers.

It seems anyone not logged in can see the guest threads, but not via the forum view. They can however see all guest threads in New posts (but logged in members can't).

Not a lot of use for contacting admin because they won't get notifications of replies.

Top Bottom