Should I buy another license if operating a standalone visitor-invisible forum under the same domain?

ShikiSuen

I have my main forum A actively open for discussion of music engraving techniques.

I have another 10-year old gaming forum B archive which is permanently "closed for registration" and its contents are only visible to existed login users. It is accessible via a subdomain of forum A.

Here comes my questions regarding forum B:

1) Should I purchase another license for forum B if it still accepts new threads / replies from existed members?

2) If the answer of the above is "should", then should I purchase a license for forum B if it does not allow all members to create threads / replies? i.e.: a completely forum archive.

# EOF.

You have to purchase a 2nd license if you plan on allowing members that aren't staff to come to "forum B".

The licensing agreements says that you can have a test forum. That test forum can be a replicated site and such but it still has to be a test board and in entails that it has to be limited to you and your staff only. So if members are logging in on your board then that is against the rules. If it's your staff members only then it's allowed. It also must be password protected.

Hope that cleared it up.

You have to purchase a 2nd license if you plan on allowing members that aren't staff to come to "forum B".

The licensing agreements says that you can have a test forum. That test forum can be a replicated site and such but it still has to be a test board and in entails that it has to be limited to you and your staff only. So if members are logging in on your board then that is against the rules. If it's your staff members only then it's allowed. It also must be password protected.

Hope that cleared it up.

Thanks for your response. Looks like it sounds "should" as an answer towards my question 1.
Now I am awaiting for official answer towards my question 2.

Thanks for your response. Looks like it sounds "should" as an answer towards my question 1.
Now I am awaiting for official answer towards my question 2.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't allow them to create threads/replies. The fact is if they are on the installation period then it's against the licensing agreement. I answered that already.

Thanks. Then I am gonna convert the forum B to MyBB.
Not that worthy to buy a Xf license for a dead forum.

Unfortunately if that's what it comes down to then I guess your going to have to. But it's beyond me why you need a second installation for an archive. Why don't you try and see if someone can import the posts to your single installation and have a forum section that just says "forum archive" and so forth.

Unfortunately if that's what it comes down to then I guess your going to have to. But it's beyond me why you need a second installation for an archive. Why don't you try and see if someone can import the posts to your single installation and have a forum section that just says "forum archive" and so forth.

Because I have no rights to process the data of Forum B in that way.
The Forum B is not mine, but I am the current webmaster of it. It was closed & offline-archived in 2012 but reopened in this January 2020 for members only.
Still, most members prefer to chat in WeChat group instead of visiting the forum.

Well good luck. I'm sure @Brogan or @Chris D will be on shortly to clarify the answer. But I wish you the best. Your right it would be a waste of money to buy a second license for only an archive that much I admit even though this is a pre-sales thread. I think even the staff here would admit that. But myBB wouldn't be a terrible option I suppose if it's only an archive. My best suggestion would be to import it but as you said you have no way. Good luck

Top Bottom