XF 2.0 Ready to replace old vBulletin forum: Which Tables to drop?

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022
vBulletin forum in root

Xenforo forum in /forum

Completed tasks:
  1. Installed forum and did the basic configurations. Exported that database.
  2. Did a test import from vBulletin database to get better visualization of the finished Xenforo site
  3. Installed a number of Xenforo add-ons
  4. Completed further customizations on the Xenforo site
  5. Now ready to replace the vBulletin site with the Xenforo version and do the final import
What I neglected to do:
  • Make a backup of the forum database with all customizations and add-ons
Question:
I want to drop all the imported vBulletin forums and posts from the Xenforo database but NOT all the customizations and add-ons.

So what tables do I drop to do this?

I'm sure someone else may know more than I do, but as you've had no replies yet, I'll add this:

The xf2 documentation doesn't seem to address this scenario, but the xf1 documention seems to advise only repeating an import into a clean (pre-import) database.
  • To completely remove any data related to an import, in order to do it again for example, the original XenForo database must be restored and all avatars and attachments must be deleted from the data and internal_data directories.
My gut feeling is that rather than dropping tables (or deleting imported forums from ACP) based on the advice in the docs quoted above, this is bets to use a clean database.

If you didn't back up before importing, then you'd need to recreate your customisations (although styles can be saved and imported and Addons can just be reinstalled)

The xf2 documentation doesn't seem to address this scenario

It is explicitly mentioned in the XF2 manual.
Warning
Always perform a full backup of your XenForo database, and the data and internal_data directories before running an import. Your source database and source files will never be modified, but a backup of your XenForo database and files provides for a safety net in the event that the import goes wrong and you need to start again. It is also a good idea to close your forums (using the Board Active option) for the duration of the import process

Also detailed here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/

@Brogan, you are correct, of course. And I started out by exporting the bare bones Xenforo database. But then in hyperfocus mode, I needed to do a preliminary import prior to installing, configuring, and checking certain add-ons, and then my options were to follow recommended procedure and have to redo several hours work, or find another way - which I did eventually.

Top Bottom