Lack of interest Quick Thread - attachment functionality: is it needed there?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Grover

This new Quick Thread thing is a neat idea :cool:, but I am not quite sure if this looks so neat:

attachments in quick new thread.webp

I guess I am sensitive to aesthetically pleasing things (that's why I am attracted to Xenforo as well), so that would be (for me) the important reason not to put/make the [Attach files]-button available under the Quick Thread. But I also am of the opinion aesthetics should not be in the way of functionality (hello 'Apple'). But when you think about it also practically: what is the perceived purpose of Quick Thread? I myself as an end-user would think it is there for me to quickly write a thread without extensive content in it. Exactly how it is described here:

Quick thread

Quick Thread is a brand new system for XF2. Above the list of threads on a forum page you will find a title entry box. Focusing this box and starting to type a thread title will load a quick message editor, in which you can post the content for the first post of your new thread. Hitting the save button will then post the thread, leaving you on the forum page rather than redirecting you to the thread page. This makes the process of creating a new simple thread extremely quick and easy.

Does a new simple thread then need the attachments-button there would be question? Because exactly in the case of creating a Quick Thread (only there, so not when you Post a Thread or Edit a Thread) we have a button available called [More options...]. As the tool tip already explains: 'Show the full post new thread editor, with options for attaching files, creating polls and more'.

So if we already have the functionality there under [More options] -which makes total sense in this case-, do we need it than also upfront integrated under the Quick Thread field? It would be a different story if there would not be a [More options]-button, but there is.

---

Talking about the absence of a [More options]-button. This example shows that:

attachments in quick reply.webp

Under Quick Reply there is no [More options]-button available, so we need to be able to select attachments there on the spot. And in this case it all looks not as unpleasant as the example above with Quick Thread. It does not have this 'invading the space'-effect as it does in the first screenshot where it kind of 'pulls apart' the inside space of the thread-list.

It seems that in screenshot 1 things are also not aligned correctly (?), because the button [Attach files] and the 2 buttons [Post thread] and [More options] are not aligned horizontally. If this would be case, maybe the cells of the attachments overview would stretch to the right side and make it all (a bit) more visually correct, like it is in screenshot 2 where all these buttons are horizontally aligned. Still... the question still stands if [Attach files] should be there in the first place :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It was a suggestion. It works just like the Quick Reply box.
Under Quick Reply there is no [More options]-button available, so we need to be able to select attachments there on the spot. And in this case it all looks not as unpleasant as the example above with Quick Thread. It does not have this 'invading the space'-effect as it does in the first screenshot where it kind of 'pulls apart' the inside space of the thread-list.

Quick reply is not the same thing as quick new thread. You can't attach a poll to a individual reply or tag individual posts as you can with threads, therefore (in most cases) there is no need for a [More options]-button.

Therefore I think this suggestion is rather about small UI adjustments, if anything. In this case, adjusting the size of the attachment boxes.

It was a suggestion. It works just like the Quick Reply box.

Thanks for informing. I was not aware of this suggestion (and how it was before), I am just using the software for the first time since a week here online :). I understand now the functionality was not in before, which -imo- makes more sense to not have it there. But I understand perceptions/wishes/needs are different for different sites/workflows.

I can also now understand the tool tip pointing us to attach file options, when they are already there. The text on the tooltip was not adjusted ;-) /extreme detail mode off.

Still... I think the buttons are not aligned correctly, so that would solve the aesthetics for me.

Quick reply is not the same thing as quick new thread. You can't attach a poll to a individual reply or tag individual posts as you can with threads, therefore (in most cases) there is no need for a [More options]-button.

I know, I did not say they are the same. I was making a case for [Attach files] needing to be there and not at Quick Thread. But I understand your case's differ and you need this functionality also at Quick Thread.

Therefore I think this suggestion is rather about small UI adjustments, if anything. In this case, adjusting the size of the attachment boxes.

Yes, in the end it will turn out to that. Still... results! (y)

Top Bottom