Add-on Photo Contest (anyone want to take over this no longer supported add-on?)

PumpinIron

The add-on in question is this one:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xen-photo-contest-paid-deleted.66438/

The plugin developer hasn't updated it in years, and finally posted it on GitHub (find it here: https://github.com/FotoContest/FotoContest) so that others could do with it as they wanted. This is nice, because there's a ton of us who would like to have a photo contest. In my case, I want to be able to have a contest each month where members upload photos of their ride, and a winner is chosen based on whose photo receives the most likes.

I tested this on XenForo 1.5.15 yesterday. It works decent, but the biggest issue is that when a member uploads a photo (for their entry), nothing happens. No progress bar, no photo attachment, nothing.

Yet when you post the entry, it actually does attach the image to the post. The issue with this is that members will never know their photo is uploading successfully or attaching, because they don't get any confirmation or anything that the photo was uploaded.

Such a shame... I wish I was a PHP guy, because I would love to fix this plugin and make just a few minor tweaks to it.

If there's ay XenForo programmers out there, I would be willing to pay one of you guys to get this add-on working properly for me and tweak just a few very minor things for me.

It's 95% what I want, the additions and updates I need are very, very small.

I think if a developer were to get on-board with this, they could ultimately turn around and sell it to a lot of us XenForo users.

The best part about this add-on is that it doesn't requite the XenForo media gallery add-on like the other photo contest add-on does.

I don't think anyone would be able to take over or resell that add-on due to copyright and licensing issues, for anyone to take it over it'd likely need to be completely rebuilt from the ground up

Ahhh, I wasn't sure. The original author used to charge for it, but he put it on GitHub and stopped charging for it because he hasn't supported it in years now. Oh well...

I'm still mind blown that a "photo contest" add-on doesn't exist for XenForo. Well, there is one by Xen Factory, but it relies on the XenForo Media Gallery, which is excessive for something so simple.

I don't think anyone would be able to take over or resell that add-on due to copyright and licensing issues, for anyone to take it over it'd likely need to be completely rebuilt from the ground up

Ahhh, I wasn't sure. The original author used to charge for it, but he put it on GitHub and stopped charging for it because he hasn't supported it in years now. Oh well...

The issue is that the developer hasn't placed an open-source license in that github repository, so legally all his (copy) rights are reserved. If it had an open-source license on it, there would be nothing legally stopping other people forking it and using it as they so wish, so long as the terms of that license were abided. Is he still contactable, so he could be asked if he could make it open-source? If he isn't, that makes it an orphan work, so legally whether or not you can make use of it, and how, would depend on jurisdiction.

Bummer... Well, I sure wish someone would at least copy the format for this add-on but make one that actually works. It sure would be nice.

Is he still contactable, so he could be asked if he could make it open-source?

He hasn't responded to any requests on this forum or his own site for a long, long time from what I read. He basically just fell off the face of the earth.

Top Bottom