Improving the 'feel' and access of our forum

I don't understand the point of not letting guests see anything. At least let them see the forums and thread titles.

But also without access to any content you aren't going to do very well in Google - but maybe that is the point if it is just a private forum.
I'm desperately trying to allow everyone to view forums and threads titles, but I don't seem to be able to stop non registered people being able to see everything!
Just registered people can now see the forums and thread titles but the non registered / guests can see everything including the thread content if I mirror the permissions I have set for the registered people :(

No that is not correct. You have all sorts of options of what "guests" and "registered" and even "paid registered" can view.

Sounds to me that you need a primer on Xenforo permissions. Trust me at first its a bit hard to grasp but it makes compete sense and will do everything under the sun for options.
Sounds like a good idea - how do I get that please? I have read the Xenforo guide but it isn't clear to me on there, is there another more detailed resource anywhere?
Thank you :)

You want registered to view content but not guests?

I have those forums set like this:

Unregistered:

• View = Yes
  • View node = Yes
  • View threads by others = Yes
  • View thread content = No

(they will see thread titles bit not the posts)

Registered

• View = Yes
  • View node = Yes
  • View thread content = Yes

They will see the posts

I'm desperately trying to allow everyone to view forums and threads titles, but I don't seem to be able to stop non registered people being able to see everything!
Just registered people can now see the forums and thread titles but the non registered / guests can see everything including the thread content if I mirror the permissions I have set for the registered people :(
Okay first thing is you need to setup your admin account (you've done that) now set up a bogus account that you'll use on a different browser to test what you're doing.

If you want, you can DM me and I'll give you a hand.

Oops! Maybe I need to revisit :o
Okay so here are a few screen shots of the unregistered usergroup for some basic settings. In the third image you'll want to set view thread content to "no".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.00.11 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.00.11 PM.webp
    58.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.00.56 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.00.56 PM.webp
    37.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.01.08 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 12.01.08 PM.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 3
You want registered to view content but not guests?

I have those forums set like this:

Unregistered:

• View = Yes
  • View node = Yes
  • View thread content = No

(they will see thread titles bit not the posts)

Registered

• View = Yes
  • View node = Yes
  • View thread content = Yes

They will see the posts
Yes!! This worked :D - but I'm using the Registered group access for the paid subscribers (standard registered people can still see the forums and thread titles but not the content - they can see the content when they upgrade to Subscriber (y)

Phew. Thanks soooo much, I hated my forum and felt totally out of control with it - it felt like it HAD to be something simple and it was!

Yes!! This worked :D - but I'm using the Registered group access for the paid subscribers (standard registered people can still see the forums and thread titles but not the content - they can see the content when they upgrade to Subscriber (y)

Phew. Thanks soooo much, I hated my forum and felt totally out of control with it - it felt like it HAD to be something simple and it was!
Usergroups need to be planned. You need to decide which each group does. Here are some examples.

unregistered = can see forums and thread titles but not the thread content.
registered = can see the thread content but not full sized images or download attachments
paid = can do all

Your paid group should be separate as users will expire need you need to demote them.

(standard registered people can still see the forums and thread titles but not the content - they can see the content when they upgrade to Subscriber
That is a bad idea. Setup a separate paid group. You'll need registered then a up sale to your deluxe usergroup. When a user payment expires the board will demote them back to registered.

I would be sooooo annoyed if I went through the whole registered process (which included looking up what the R meant in RV) and still can't see the threads.

I have it set so that once registered they view the posts of much of the content except the premium forums for paying subscribers.

You can see that forum here with a floating notice telling people they need to subscribe

I would be sooooo annoyed if I went through the whole registered process (which included looking up what the R meant in RV) and still can't see the threads.

I have it set so that once registered they view the posts of much of the content except the premium forums for paying subscribers.

You can see that forum here with a floating notice telling people they need to subscribe
Absolutely. Unless is pay to register and view everything.

I just viewed your site. Much better. Now decide what a paid subscriber gets vs a logged in user and set the options for each group.
A paid subscriber can see everything - their user group is 'Subscriber' - 'registered' and 'guests' can only see up to thread titles with links to subscribe to see more :) Subscribers also get member discounts on events etc (we are building value for subscribers as fast as we can but these things take time - this site was quite neglected until we took it on and are breathing new life into it!)

A paid subscriber can see everything - their user group is 'Subscriber' - 'registered' and 'guests' can only see up to thread titles with links to subscribe to see more :) Subscribers also get member discounts on events etc (we are building value for subscribers as fast as we can but these things take time - this site was quite neglected until we took it on and are breathing new life into it!)
So how are separating what a registered user Vs a subscriber gets? Are you manually modifying user accounts?

So how are separating what a registered user Vs a subscriber gets? Are you manually modifying user accounts?
It's all done automatically, they pay for a year's subscription which runs out after 12 months, they can also opt to auto renew at this point

I agree about needing something to differentiate between random page visitor and registered user - we do send out a 'what you have missed' email every week to those who have opted in to receive emails but that's the only difference at this point

Top Bottom