Implemented  An indicator to show that you've posted in a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim

Hello there

Is there currently a way of graphically indicating which topics one has participated in? I don't seem to see anything like that myself (FF 3.6.8)

If not, can we have a "dot" indicator of some kind.

Thanks!

Kim

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I know some of you are going to hate it, but give it some time to sink in. Everybody is resistant to change at first.

The thinking behind it:

We could have used a generic blob to indicate that you have posted in a thread, but everyone does that, and if a blob is acceptable, it de-facto means that you consider the content of the indicator to be unimportant.

Using your own avatar allows the display to be personal to you, and while the image is too small to pick out details, that's not the intention. You should be able to recognise the colours and basic forms from your avatar without a problem. The mini-avatars are now 20px instead of their previous 16px, which goes a long way to making them more recognisable.

The intention of the graphic is to differentiate threads that you have posted in from threads you have not, at a glance. I believe that the current implementation does that in a unique way.

The long and the short of it is that I like this implementation and I believe the reasoning behind it is sound. If you disagree, we have a wonderful template system that allows you to change any of this stuff very simply on your own installation.

I know some of you are going to hate it, but give it some time to sink in. Everybody is resistant to change at first.

The thinking behind it:

We could have used a generic blob to indicate that you have posted in a thread, but everyone does that, and if a blob is acceptable, it de-facto means that you consider the content of the indicator to be unimportant.

Using your own avatar allows the display to be personal to you, and while the image is too small to pick out details, that's not the intention. You should be able to recognise the colours and basic forms from your avatar without a problem. The mini-avatars are now 20px instead of their previous 16px, which goes a long way to making them more recognisable.

The intention of the graphic is to differentiate threads that you have posted in from threads you have not, at a glance. I believe that the current implementation does that in a unique way.

The long and the short of it is that I like this implementation and I believe the reasoning behind it is sound. If you disagree, we have a wonderful template system that allows you to change any of this stuff very simply on your own installation.

Ho-Ra... Glad you went with it... I think at a quick glance it is Very viable and very easy to tell which ones you have posted in because of the shape difference...

So glad they are back, and I hope they stay this time :D

Ho-Ra... Glad you went with it... I think at a quick glance it is Very viable and very easy to tell which ones you have posted in because of the shape difference...

So glad they are back, and I hope they stay this time :D
They are definitely staying but if they aren't ill just re implement them in my copy :)

amen

Something else to note: the avatar gives you the impression that the icon is related to you, which it is. I don't see an arrow or a dot as giving a useful representation, and can actually be misleading. (Is the arrow a redirect?) It should be more intuitive to the average user, IMO, without the need for a legend.

Interestingly, the "Everyone's News Feed" feature has changed how I nav the forum, I find myself using the forum-view and thread-view pages less and less.

YAY THE MINI-ME's Are back...
just noticed, but i've a request: if you put your mouse onto the the tiny avatar you got a response that said how many post you made in this thread: so the request is: if i select the tiny avatar can i get my posts instead the member card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom