XF 1.5 Going from XenForo 1.5x to 2.1x

vFranky

Hello,

I like to migrate our XenForo 1.5x forum to 2.1x.

To do this, I would do the following ==>

1) Copy all XenForo 2.1x installation files to a new directory
2) Start XenForo 2.1x installation and choose "upgrade from 1.5x"
3) Let the installation process do the data import
4) Check the 2.1x forum
5) The set XF 2.1x productive, rename XF 1.5x forum directory name, rename XF 2.1x directory name to the default
6) XF 2.1x ready to use

Is my view correct? Or do I miss something?
Every hint is helpful! Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Frank

Just upgrade as normal.

What means => No new directory? Use the old one?

Another question: I want to customize the style templates before. Can I upgrade in another directory and use both (1.5 + 2.1 for customization parallel) ? Do an upgrade in another directory leave the 1.5x data unchanged?

There is no "data import" if you upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1, there will just be data migrations.

If you want to test the upgrade:
Clone your live installation (DB and files), upgrade the clone and test everything.

Just copying the XF 2.1 files to a new location and performing the upgrade there doesn't work - it also needs the XF 1.5 files in data/internal_data.
Even if you copy that as well, the upgrade would migrate your 1.5 DB, eg. the 1.5 installation would be unusable afterwards.

So that doesn't make much sense (to me) :)

Clone your live installation (DB and files), upgrade the clone and test everything.

Okay, I will clone the DB to another DB and copy my productive XenForo 1.5x directory to a test directory? Right?

How can I prevent that the upgrade-process in the test-directory does something with the productive XenForo 1.5x?
Perhaps because some references in the test-system target to the productive XenForo?

Okay, now I have a clone of my 1.52 forum.

What now? Where can I find the guide for the upgrade installation to XenForo 2.1x?
Is the handling similar to an normal upgrade? Upload upgrade files and start install?

Thank you.

First I activated the default XenForo 1.5x style.
I have deactivated all addons, except XenForo Enhanced Search and XenForo Media Gallery. Is this right?
Any other things to think about?

These are the files for the upgrade, Enhanced Search and Media Gallery are full installation and XenForo is an upgrade version.
Question: Do I first upload only XenForo and upgrade, upload Enhanced Search and Media Gallery in the next step?

XenForoUpgrade.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom