Extremely new to doing all this and I need some help.

Steel Hyaena

I hope I am not making a pest of myself and really apologizing if I am. I have never done any database work at all and am really struggling with some of the terminology and pathways for how to get some of the add-ons installed onto my site that need to be there. An example is the following, for the XFA BBCode tabs:

"1. Upload all the files inside the "upload" folder to your XenForo". I don't know whether the author means on my actual web host, or somewhere in my control panel. In either case, I need very, very basic, step-by-step instructions on where to find things and what to do. I'm not used to this interface yet, having come over from ProBoards, and also may need some hand-holding if I have to go into my webhost to do stuff. I'm a quick study once I know where things are, but I feel like a lot of the instructions I have been finding are a couple of steps ahead of where I am in my learning process.

Can anyone help? :-)

Yup, me again. I've got Add-On, Install and Upgrade. I want to load https://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-ratings-taking-likes-to-the-next-level.410/reviews. I purchased the add-on and it's not allowing me to load it, rendering an error of 'only proper resource links allowed'. I sent a message to the person who has it, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? I was able to download it, but I am still add-on challenged when I attempt it manually.

ETA: Even better! I got it to load through the zip file.. where it's done nothing but remove all Like capability and not give me the post ratings, either. This is the second add-on I have added with Add-On, Install and Upgrade where I've gotten the add-on to load and nothing has changed at all. I'm trying to stay optimistic and understand that this is a learning process, but admit that I am now extremely discoruaged at this point.

Last edited:
ENF, I do look at the READMEs and otrher stuff, but it seems like many of them are crafted for people that have some experience in running a XenForo. Either that, or the terminology used is different than what I'm used to (as in SiteWorx being what my webhost calls whateverone else knows as CPanel). Or stuff happens like with the BB Tabs add-on... it's looking for information to go into a callback, and I dun even know where to start.

ETA: Post Ratings doesn't seem to have a README at all, and I can't find the instructions on the resource page itself. BTW, thank you for passing by. :-) Even a small scrap of information may end up being the one I need to have an 'aha' moment.

can't find the instructions on the resource page itself.
At least for Post Ratings, (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-ratings-taking-likes-to-the-next-level.410/) There's an instruction near the bottom of the page. You have to setup your usergroup permissions in order to use the addon. This is pretty standard for a lot of addons, so this won't be the first time you see this.

It's always, something like:
1. Upload files to the server
2. Run the install addon .xml file
3. Configure permissions to use.

Some others don't require permission settings, you just have to check the details and it may not always be in the Readme or included files.

Top Bottom