Description length not working after upgrade

beerForo

This seems to have worked before the upgrade as I have a description with 203 but after the recent upgrade it truncates at 157 with (...)

Maximum media/album description length
1000 <-- my setting

Is it a YouTube embed or similar?

If it is shorter than you expect then it is likely just the case that the metadata we got from YouTube includes the description already truncated.

Ah yes it is YT embed. And it does appear to be grabbing from YT. So this would be happening if they leave the description blank and it uses meta, but if they enter their own it would not happen, is this correct?

Nope. It will always happen. It looks like YouTube truncates the meta description (or og:description or twitter:description) to a maximum of 160 characters (including the ellipses):
HTML:
<meta property="og:description" content="Get an unrestricted 30-day free trial of FreshBooks at https://www.freshbooks.com/techquickie Find out why you would use a 2.5 Gbps connection instead of ful...">

I mean if they enter their own text in the description box when posting it would use that limit, the 1000, correct? Because I have some over, looks like unique text.

Oh right. Yes.

We automatically populate the description from the YouTube metadata first, but that can be replaced or added to up to 1000 characters.

Awesome thanks. I didn't realize it populated I thought it was happening during the posting action. Just tested to confirm, I see. So they can add to it if they notice the truncated text. Cool, thanks.

Top Bottom