Confusing GUI behaviour when updating report

Kirby

Affected version
2.3.0 Beta 6
When updating a report it is always possible to input a "resolution / rejection alert message":

1714657990285.webp

This is confusing as the message will only be sent to users who reported the content after the report was last openeded and only id the status is changed to Resolved or Rejected.

The current GUI may cause moderators to think that the alert message will be send (to all users who reported) whenever the checkbox is activated.

Suggested Fix
  1. Disable the checkbox and alert message input when a target status orther than Resolved or Rejected is selected
  2. Add a hint to the alert message input stating that only users who reported the content after the report was last opened will be alertered

Who is it confusing to, exactly?

I don't recall hearing that feedback before, so I don't think the confusion is widespread, exactly.

I don't agree it is confusing because the checkbox explicitly states its for "resolution/rejection" so logically it will only be sent if you are changing the status to "Resolved" or "Rejected".

Who is it confusing to, exactly?
Apparently some of our moderators who brought up the issue with their community manager who escalated it to DevOps team where a colleague escalated it to me which finally led to this bug report.

I don't agree it is confusing because the checkbox explicitly states its for "resolution/rejection" so logically it will only be sent if you are changing the status to "Resolved" or "Rejected".
I don't disagree here and this was also my agrument when I discussed this with our team before opening this bug report.

But lets face the truth:
Users (and moderators) don't always think logical, they just read "Send [...] alert", assume it sends an alert and complain if it does not.

Of course we could argue that the behaviour is fine and explain it to them ... and some time later the next new moderator will complain again.
So this just (needlessly) consumes time.

As there is an easy way to avoid this (eg. disable the checkbox and input if it's not used anyway) I think this should be done and would be more consistent with other parts of XenForo, for example Privacy options:
1714679994233.webp

It is also logical that the current activity can't be shown without disclosing online status - yet the checkbox is disabled if Show your online status is not enabled.

IMHO this should be the general UI design pattern:
Disable (or hide) controls that have no effect (if other options are not set in a specific way).

Last edited:
Top Bottom