XF 2.1 changing forum directory

stanleyb23

Im working on my new xenforo forum. Installed it on test.domain.nl/xenforo
Because im getting towards the redirects i d like to put my forum in the directory named "Forum" so the url wil be test.domain.nl/Forum (like on my old forum)

Can i just change the Forum url in the admin and then change the directory "xenforo" in "Forum"

Thanks for the help!

Im working on my new xenforo forum. Installed it on test.domain.nl/xenforo
Because im getting towards the redirects i d like to put my forum in the directory named "Forum" so the url wil be test.domain.nl/Forum (like on my old forum)

Can i just change the Forum url in the admin and then change the directory "xenforo" in "Forum"

Thanks for the help!

Just be aware that the URL of the forum list will be test.domain.nl/Forum/forums and that each forum wiill have the URL test.domain.nl/Forum/forums/name-of-forum

Some people find that double forum looks a bit odd.

Yes i noticed that but my old good indexed forum is /Forum/ and I want to keep that. My second step will be to find a seo / htaccess guru who helps me to get rid of /forums and /thread. Havent found it sofar but I think it must be possible.

Yes i noticed that but my old good indexed forum is /Forum/ and I want to keep that. My second step will be to find a seo / htaccess guru who helps me to get rid of /forums and /thread. Havent found it sofar but I think it must be possible.
I believe they cannot be removed, but can be changed. Not with htaccess but by using route filters.

I agree! I m not sure what to do. I have my forumindex on domain/Forum/ now. If i want to keep that i will have domain/Forum/forums/ or I have to change to community/forums and 301 all incoming links to an url i think is worse then /Forum/

I agree! I m not sure what to do. I have my forumindex on domain/Forum/ now. If i want to keep that i will have domain/Forum/forums/ or I have to change to community/forums and 301 all incoming links to an url i think is worse then /Forum/

Yes /community/forums is better, and easily doable with htaccess but unless you have something else in the root, then a redirect to the root is way better IMO. The global redirect can lose a tiny bit of SEO value though but probably nothing worth worrying about.

I had this exact issue when migrating from vbulletin, because the vbulletin CMS home page was in root and forum was in /forum/

However with xenforo if you have a home page/portal then it is the same directory. There would of course be an issue if you had something else such as wordpress in the root, otherwise I'd still recommend putting it all in root and then this should do the redirect:

Code:
RewriteRule ^Forum/(.*)?$ /$1 [R=301,L]

I have wordpress in the root :) Thanks!

Aha, well that's a problem then. I did find a way to have both in the root. Although xenForo must have index.php there is a way so that Wordpress doesn't, but I think it isn't something I would rely on to survive updates.

This might be it:

Top Bottom