Can users have a different display name to their username?

SparkyMark

A short question, can users/members (especially the Admin account), have a public displayed name that is different to the sign-in name used? I'm just thinking of security here.

Thanks again, Mark...

A short question, can users/members (especially the Admin account), have a public displayed name that is different to the sign-in name used? I'm just thinking of security here.

Thanks again, Mark...
No. It's not like vBulletin if you're from there.
In this software your username is what it is. It's also your display name.

Thanks for the reply. :)

No, I use SMF. It allows admin to have different user and display names for extra security. The admin's username is one half of what a hacker needs to access a site. Why make it easy for them! ;)

I think I just read that Xenforo allows for the option of two factor authentication(?), so I guess that is a viable alternative.

Thanks again, Mark...

i believe you can disable the show as staff option and maybe some other settings to completely hide who is an admin or mod on the site. and then there are many other solutions to block access to admin control panel to non authorized users. cloudflare has a pretty nice one that can be added very easily through @digitalpoint's addon.

Cloudflare Access support

Last edited:
I think I just read that Xenforo allows for the option of two factor authentication(?), so I guess that is a viable alternative.
This is the best way to protect your admin accounts (I have two, one that is the default you have to configure during XF setup and then my normal "every day" use account). The nice thing about this, if you lock out your "normal" account, you can use the primary admin account to get into the ACP and unlock it if you need to.
I use DigitalPoints add-on to allow my to use my YubiKey in addition to the standard 2FA.

Yes, XF supports it and is very effective at protecting an account.

You're right that having a different username to display name improves security, but I think in the context of forum software, it doesn't make much difference as it doesn't generate the same kind of desire to break in that something like online banking would to steal lots of money. Anyway, 2FA really mitigates it if you're worried.

Also, it's quite possible to hide the status of a mod or admin account. The username colour will give it away though if they're set differently for each rank. There's probably a way to fix that too, though.

Wow! Thanks for all of the ideas and info folks! (y)

I'm just trying to create a demo board at the moment to take a look at the back end of the scripting.

I'm impressed with the level of support within this community! Far better than the usual "go away noob" comments you get from some "experts" on some of the sites I've visited over the years :giggle:

Thanks again all!

Mark...

Far better than the usual "go away noob" comments you get from some "experts" on some of the sites I've visited over the years
Overall, you can get good support on the site. There are several that have reduced the amount of support they provide (as license users) for various reasons over the last few years.
On a "first party" script offering base, it's a great script of you need a simple forum with a limited gallery/resource manager. If needing a full suite of products, there are options that may be better out there.

Quite happy with the 'simple forum' ;)

I used to use IPB many years ago, which could do loads of things, BUT, I got sick of the updates either breaking the site or else messing up the theme in use.

As mentioned in another post, I have just purchased a license so it will be interesting to see how things work out. I am interested to see what the importers can do as I have my current site to import but I think that the importer can also merge sites possibly? If so I have a much older site I archived which has the same subject matter and it would be cool if the info it contains could also be added. I know that this process can be hit and miss in some cases so I see it as more of an experiment. If it works it works, if not then at least I have tried!

Thanks as always folks!

Mark...

I used to use IPB many years ago, which could do loads of things, BUT, I got sick of the updates either breaking the site or else messing up the theme in use.
If you only need the forum aspect.. then XF will be a better choice in most instances. But if you used IPS Pages to even a modicum of it's abilities or need to extend much beyond a simple forum, you will find XF lacking.
It's a great "basic forum" script... but you will find if you want to push it much beyond that, there are cheaper alternatives out there due to the XF reliance on 3rd party developers (most paid with yearly renewals) to give what some would consider basic functions. My out of pocket costs for XF for my main site WELL exceeds what IPS's "full course meal" would cost... but that does include the fact that I could program IPS Pages to meet minimally my 3rd party needs that I have with XenForo, which many would not be able to do. For those that may not have that ability, XF (and it's base reliance on 3rd party developers) may be a better option.

Top Bottom