Best host for Xenforo 2023?

Aliana

Hey, I considered digital ocean or linode, and I do have a server box with OVH, but I'm not quite techy/linux skilled enough to set up a xenforo install yet on an unmanaged server/bare metal. So I was wondering what is the best host out there today? I'm assuming I'd want a managed VPS?

I'd expect medium to high traffic on my forums, so I'd need a host based on that. I made a mistake picking up dreamhost.

What should I go wiith?

OVH or Linode both are best.

If require any assistance setting up server let me know. Will help :)
With linode I don't even know what to select to buy! haha, high CPU, high memory!? so many choices!!

I feel it may be best for me to stick with a managed host/VPS for now as I try to learn on the side with my OVH box, as I've been doing stuff with that lately, but I need to get my forums up ASAP. What would be the best host for this??

With linode I don't even know what to select to buy! haha, high CPU, high memory!? so many choices!!

I feel it may be best for me to stick with a managed host/VPS for now as I try to learn on the side with my OVH box, as I've been doing stuff with that lately, but I need to get my forums up ASAP. What would be the best host for this??
The selection is basically based on the number of active users you are having at a time on the forum, what is your database size, kind of performance you require and region of your users.

I would go with OVH if I had to keep this within my budget. Though If choosing Linode remember, if you receive any complaint they can take your site down. Happened with us on Linode.

I will go with OVH as their services are better for my own region.

Last edited:
Would this be around the same cost as Digital ocean/linode? Do you use it? How many members do you use on your forums?

Yes I do use it, and I don't know how it compares to Digital Ocean or Linode because I don't know what your current plan is.

I'm using a VPS. I don't want to provide details of my board, but it's fairly large and we've just scaled up the plans as needed. We started on the lowest plan, and just moved up each time the server usage looked high and the forum felt slow. Everything's running well and there's more options to scale up further if necessary.

The selection is basically based on the number of active users you are having at a time on the forum, what is your database size, kind of performance you require and region of your users.

I would go with OVH if I had to keep this within my budget. Though If choosing Linode remember, if you receive any complaint they can take your site down. Happened with us on Linode.

I will go with OVH as their services are better for my own region.
OVH will also remove you on complaints; for most companies it mostly comes down to whether or not the customer is worth keeping or not.

OVH will also remove you on complaints; for most companies it mostly comes down to whether or not the customer is worth keeping or not.
Depends upon complaints type. Most of the complaints that we received were fake. But at least OVH doesn't create issues on your website. They give you enough time to resolve issues at our end.

You can give KnownHost a look: https://www.knownhost.com/

They use Xenforo themselves and can assist with the install if necessary.
We did used them once but at the end cost and scaling issues occurred for us as we have to manage like 7k users online at a time.

Yes I do use it, and I don't know how it compares to Digital Ocean or Linode because I don't know what your current plan is.

I'm using a VPS. I don't want to provide details of my board, but it's fairly large and we've just scaled up the plans as needed. We started on the lowest plan, and just moved up each time the server usage looked high and the forum felt slow. Everything's running well and there's more options to scale up further if necessary.
I just bought a service, a few of my purchases failed, but it went through finally wiith knownhost, but it's not active? is this normal??? I paid for it and my service is not active at all yet, it's "pending?

I just bought a service, a few of my purchases failed, but it went through finally wiith knownhost, but it's not active? is this normal??? I paid for it and my service is not active at all yet, it's "pending?

I think so, because it takes time to provision, even if it's automatic on a VPS. You can open a ticket with them to check for you, it's 24/7.

I think so, because it takes time to provision, even if it's automatic on a VPS. You can open a ticket with them to check for you, it's 24/7.
It tells me

"
The following services are pending review by staff. Once approved, they will be activated:
"

I have 3 failed purchases due to bank, until it went finally through with this one, and now I'm worried. It went through so I should hopefully have it soon?

It tells me

"
The following services are pending review by staff. Once approved, they will be activated:
"

I have 3 failed purchases due to bank, until it went finally through with this one, and now I'm worried. It went through so I should hopefully have it soon?

Oh, then yeah I wouldn't be worried about it. It's likely an anti-fraud thing where they want to review it since there's so many charge attempts.

Oh, then yeah I wouldn't be worried about it. It's likely an anti-fraud thing where they want to review it since there's so many charge attempts
Did they flag me, or was it automatic?

As I paid A LOT for this VPS, cheaper than DO or linode but a lot still!

Thank you by the way dragon fruit, I saw your posts a while back, which was my driving decision.

Isn't the owner of this on the forums by chance and maybe we can ping them?

Did they flag me, or was it automatic?

As I paid A LOT for this VPS, cheaper than DO or linode but a lot still!

Thank you by the way dragon fruit, I saw your posts a while back, which was my driving decision.

Isn't the owner of this on the forums by chance and maybe we can ping them?
I understand, but things happen, I have multiple servers with them and I never had this issue because my charges all worked instantly. It's just a guess on my behalf of why they would be reviewing your purchase.

And yes, it's @JonathanW , but you also have to understand this operates like any other proper business with the billing department being 9-5, Monday-Friday. Tech support is 24/7.

It's Sunday night, and he could be in bed already.

Hey, I considered digital ocean or linode, and I do have a server box with OVH, but I'm not quite techy/linux skilled enough to set up a xenforo install yet on an unmanaged server/bare metal. So I was wondering what is the best host out there today? I'm assuming I'd want a managed VPS?

I'd expect medium to high traffic on my forums, so I'd need a host based on that. I made a mistake picking up dreamhost.

What should I go wiith?
Check out @MattW 's hosting services. He's great. He'll also set up your site on a different server if that's what you want.

Highly recommend.

I understand, but things happen, I have multiple servers with them and I never had this issue because my charges all worked instantly. It's just a guess on my behalf of why they would be reviewing your purchase.

And yes, it's @JonathanW , but you also have to understand this operates like any other proper business with the billing department being 9-5, Monday-Friday. Tech support is 24/7.

It's Sunday night, and he could be in bed already.
Servers up! thank you for telling me of this host!

I received details of my cpanel URL, however it wont load, is there some setup I need to do, or should I make a ticket about this to them?

Check out @MattW 's hosting services. He's great. He'll also set up your site on a different server if that's what you want.

Highly recommend.
As in he could help me set up my server on my curent dedicated server box with OVH? or does he offer servers?

Top Bottom