Protecting admin.php, the /install directory, and test & development installations using .htaccess

Protecting admin.php, the /install directory, and test & development installations using .htaccess

Compatible XF 2.x versions
  1. 2.0
  2. 2.1
  3. 2.2
If you want to provide an extra layer of protection to admin.php, the /install directory, and test & development installations, you can do so with .htaccess authentication.

Protecting admin.php
To protect admin.php, edit the .htaccess file which is in your forum...
You do not have permission to view the full content of this resource. Log in or register now.

Latest updates

1. Now with added test and development installation goodness

Updated the main resource with a section on protecting test and development installations.

Latest reviews

Exactly what I needed in order to make the admin panel and the install folder secured before making my forum publicly available. Thanks!
Excellent tutorial for securing XnForo backend, quite a long ago I was searching for this type of solution to give my forum high protection, this guide helped to maximize in the particular security type. Thanks !
8 years after first being posted and this is still the first thing I hunt down when doing a new install. Okay so i've not done one in 5 years, but hey, great that it is still relevent.
Perfect! This tip was exactly what I was looking for to secure the APC.
Just one comment, it could be good to add in the description how to generate a salt hash password. The command I used was
perl -le 'print crypt("my_password", "salt-hash")'
This is an excellent article, tailored to the newbie's level of understanding. I learned how to: Use IP address based protection, from reading it. As they say, "An ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure!"
An excellent resource for anyone that might want to add an extra layer of protection to their admin panel and Install directory. Thanks for sharing this.
Awesome
just what i needed.
Top Bottom