XF 2.1 XF to XF import and redirects

karll

I'm going to merge two XF boards: everything from board A into board B. I'm hoping that the merge/import can do the following:
  • Bookmarked links to threads and posts on board A will continue to work, presumably through some kind of redirect script.
  • For a member account on board A where the same registered email address exists in an account on board B, the accounts will be merged using the account details (avatar, username and so on) of board B.
  • For a member account on board A where the same username exists on board B, the account from board A will be copied over to B, but with a new username containing some kind of predefined prefix.
  • Some sort of mapping can be defined as part of the import process so that threads in certain forums on board A can be imported into certain specified forums on board B, and in some cases a thread prefix can be automatically added as well.
Can someone please verify that all this is supported by the XF importer? Do redirect scripts as described above exist? (Not sure if relevant, but I'm using Nginx.)

Thanks in advance! :)

Bookmarked links to threads and posts on board A will continue to work, presumably through some kind of redirect script.
I don't believe there is an XF to XF redirection script available: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/redirection-scripts-2-x.52/

For a member account on board A where the same registered email address exists in an account on board B, the accounts will be merged using the account details (avatar, username and so on) of board B.
You choose how to handle accounts with identical information during the import.

For a member account on board A where the same username exists on board B, the account from board A will be copied over to B, but with a new username containing some kind of predefined prefix.
That's not something which is built in the importer.

Some sort of mapping can be defined as part of the import process so that threads in certain forums on board A can be imported into certain specified forums on board B, and in some cases a thread prefix can be automatically added as well.
Again, there is nothing available to do that.

I don't believe there is an XF to XF redirection script available: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/redirection-scripts-2-x.52/
OK, thanks. I think I should be able to craft one inspired by the redirection scripts in the RM for other forum software.

You choose how to handle accounts with identical information during the import.
Good ...

That's not something which is built in the importer.
So what happens if there is a conflict between existing and imported usernames? Does the importer not distinguish between conflicting usernames and email addresses - i.e. it simply sees them as conflicting users? If so, that is a problem for me.

Again, there is nothing available to do that.
OK, so am I right in thinking that the importer will create the nodes, threads and so on in the target board, and if there is a conflict where both source and target board have the same nodes, it will re-use them? (If so, I should be able to get around the issue by renaming the nodes in advance, or maybe making all the source nodes into sub-nodes of "import" root node before I run the import, and then move the nodes around manually after the import. So again, not a problem.)

So what happens if there is a conflict between existing and imported usernames?
They will be flagged and you decide whether to merge or rename.

It's not automatic though - it has to be done manually for each conflict.

OK, so am I right in thinking that the importer will create the nodes, threads and so on in the target board, and if there is a conflict where both source and target board have the same nodes, it will re-use them?
Yes, all nodes will be imported regardless so there is no need to change anything prior to importing (XF has no issue with multiple nodes having the same name, just the URL portion must be different).

Top Bottom