XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there was a time in the past where Kier expressed an interest in such a model, probably as an add-on. So it could still happen one day.

Do any other forum softwares have such a feature as a first party add-on or in the core? Could be a killer feature.

God, I hate that feature forum

There, I fixed it.

faa63b.jpg

I think there was a time in the past where Kier expressed an interest in such a model, probably as an add-on. So it could still happen one day.

Do any other forum softwares have such a feature as a first party add-on or in the core? Could be a killer feature.

Mhh...with IPB you have the "best answer" feature, now refined in the 4.0...it's not the same thing, but IMHO it's useful to have it.

What's IMHO it's missing in Xenforo Core is to have more systems to make registration easy...example, the possibility to comment as guest and next to have to register to "save" it, a "fast registration box" like this (see the "registratione veloce" box) and a popup registration when you click "reply" on guest view. This can be accomplished by mods, but IMHO should be core.

Last edited:
Would it be similar to VB's comment feature?
Hopefully not.

I'm not necessarily a fan of in-post comments. It is what Stackoverflow do, of course, but there are many Q&A style systems that don't. If it was deemed to be a good feature by the majority, it would be good to see an option to toggle in-post comments off.

Upcoming IPB has this feature.

In addition to my previous post, XenForo is already checking for new posts when you save a draft. It shouldn't be too hard to set a configurable timeout and check for new posts within a thread. I know at least 1 forum product that works that way.

I've been trying to get an addon developed that does this since I moved to XF a year ago. Would love to see it in 2.0.

I'd love to do this, but how many XenForo customers do you suppose have access to the necessary long-polling webserver? Trying to achieve it with Apache or similar would have apocalyptically bad consequences.
Still... live updating content is what the end user wants and is used to with facebook, twitter, etc. Sooner or later we will have to give them live updating widgets and content areas. Rather sooner than later.
An option for those who want to implement the server necessities would be great. I would not have to think about it. It seems a no brainer to me, because its so appealing to the end user. It radically changes the user experience.

I would be interested in seeing some sort of Q&A style mode that you can enable for some forums. StackOverflow style, but maybe that fits better as an addon.
Stackoverflow is eating away traffic of many information oriented forums. I think its essential to have Q&A functionality if your forum is information oriented.

Yes, IPS offers this since the previous version.

I'd love to do this, but how many XenForo customers do you suppose have access to the necessary long-polling webserver? Trying to achieve it with Apache or similar would have apocalyptically bad consequences.
Its true that it is beyond 98% of XF customers, especially those running on shared platforms, and do this properly you really should be using something like Redis, but IMO nor should XenForo limit itself by making a conscious decision that it isn't going to develop those features that big forums really want. A feature like this is a paradigm shift for XF, into turning the software which is fairly retrospective in nature to something that addresses the issues of now. I think you'd surprised at how many customers would be willing to make that investment into the work required to have this feature. Certainly we'd be willing to pay for a ;premium' product if it means putting investment into area which isn't going to be utilised by the majority of users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom