High End VPS vs Low End Dedi vs "the cloud", etc

Somewhat related: I figured I was overdue for some maintenance, so I took the opportunity last night to install php 5.3 along with the IUS builds of APC and FPM, then swapped Apache for PHP-FPM. Right now, the forum feels a little snappier... page loads feel quicker, etc. Ram use is actually up a bit vs apache, but PHP-FPM is running out-of-the-box settings. I didn't have time to mess around with it beyond that.

For some reason I thought you had already done the migration. :P
vBulletin has some notoriously bad back-end coding that could be amplifying some problems that you are seeing. It still seems odd that you are having I/O issues with a relatively small load like that. The biggest vB board I've been involved with usually has 1000 - 1500 users online at once and I/O is just starting to become a minor issue on the dedicated server where it runs with RAID 1. A good quality RAID 10 VPS host should be able to match that performance or at least come really close so it should not be a problem for your board.

Yeah, the plan is to officially migrate this weekend. I've done a couple of test imports, and it seems to have gone pretty well.

But I figured hashing out the pros and cons of various server setups would be helpful to other people in a similar situation. I mean, right out of the gate, we've got a ~$100/mo differential between hosting recommendations. ;)

That may make a VPS like Linode a better choice since you can easily upgrade the server if you find you need more power. Much more difficult to do that with a dedicated box.

Somewhat related: I figured I was overdue for some maintenance, so I took the opportunity last night to install php 5.3 along with the IUS builds of APC and FPM, then swapped Apache for PHP-FPM. Right now, the forum feels a little snappier... page loads feel quicker, etc. Ram use is actually up a bit vs apache, but PHP-FPM is running out-of-the-box settings. I didn't have time to mess around with it beyond that.

;)

Now once you switch to Debian (maybe in the future).... You'll be very surprised on how much more "snappier" things can get. :cool:

Top Bottom