Similar to the Facebook integration and Twitter integration options, you can use Google integration to allow users to register or log in with their Google account. This can help reduce the friction of creating an account or remembering login details, leading to increased engagement.
Logging in via Google will be enabled when Google project details are set in the Options > Google integration section. In this help page, we'll walk through creating and configuring the Google project for use with XenForo.
Creating the Google Project
- Browse to https://cloud.google.com/console/project and log in with your Google account. Note that the email address associated with this account may be displayed when users register using their Google account.
- Click the Create Project button and enter a name and ID. These will only be used internally.
- Once the project is created, click the hamburger menu icon located at the top left, then select API MANAGER, then Credentials in the sidebar, and finally OAuth Consent Screen and complete the details as necessary and save the settings.
- Click CREATE CREDENTIALS, select OAuth Client ID, then WEB APPLICATION and complete the details as follows:
http://example.com), you should enter both URLs. Similarly, if users can access your site both with and without HTTPS, you should enter a value with http and https. Each URL should be placed on its own line. Ensure all variations of the URL used to access your site are entered.
- Double check all of the URLs are correct and then click the Create Client ID button. The Create Client ID overlay will be displayed so just click the Cancel button.
- On the Credentials page, make a note of the CLIENT ID and CLIENT SECRET. Copy these values into the respective fields in the Options > Google Integration section of the XenForo control panel.
- Finally, test your integration. You can do this via XenForo by going to your account, choosing the Connected Accounts option and attempting to associate your Google account.
To change the values displayed when a user attempts to register via Google, you can customize this in your Google project via APIs & auth > Consent screen.