Installing XenForo is a straightforward process. In a nutshell, you will upload the files, set permissions, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Before you purchase XenForo, you should confirm that your server meets XenForo's requirements.
If you have any problems or questions, submit a support ticket and we will help you through the process.
To begin, you must first download the zip file that contains XenForo from the XenForo Customer Area.
Ensure that you leave Download the upgrade package only unselected when you are going to do a fresh installation.
- Before you can download XenForo, you must provide information about your site that will be running XenForo.
- Once you have done that, you may click the Download XenForo link and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Save the file to your computer.
At this point you will need an FTP client and FTP login credentials for your server. If you don't know these, your hosting provider will be able to assist you.
For example, if you want to access XenForo via www.example.com/community/, create a community directory inside your webroot (such as a public_html or www directory).
- Connect to your server using the FTP client and create the directory where you want to install XenForo.
- Unzip the file that you downloaded in step 1 and you will see an upload directory within it.
- Upload the contents of this directory to into the directory you just created on your server. This can usually be done by dragging the contents of the folder (including all sub-folders) into the server's window in your FTP client.
The upload may take a significant amount of time.
3. Setting Permissions
Once the files are finished uploading, you must set permissions (or CHMOD) several places. This is necessary to ensure that XenForo can write to those parts of your server. You can usually do this with your FTP client.
- In the set of files and directories you just uploaded, you will see 2 folders: data and internal_data.
- These two directories must be set to world writeable (CHMOD 0777) or give the IUSR_ Full Control in Windows.
Keep your FTP client open; you may still need it for the next step.
Now you are ready to begin the XenForo installer program.
- Direct your browser to the install directory within the URL that corresponds to your upload. (e.g., www.example.com/community/install/).
- Follow the on-screen prompts until the installation is complete.
- If you do not know what values to use, please contact your host. They can assist you.In the early steps, you will be asked to provide details about your database server.
- Once these details are provided, a configuration file will be generated. In most cases, you will have to upload this to your server manually.
- Download the file generated by the installer and save it to your computer. It should be called config.php.
- Use your FTP client to upload this into the library directory that you uploaded in step 2.
- Once the file is uploaded, you may proceed with the installation.
Once the installation is complete, you can log in to your XenForo control panel and begin configuring it.
5. Post-Installation Checks
After you complete an installation, you should confirm the integrity of all uploaded files.
- Log in to the XenForo admin control panel.
- Click on the Tools tab.
- Click on File Health Check from the list on the left hand side.
This tool will confirm whether all the appropriate files are in place and contain the correct contents. If any problems are detected, you will be alerted to the error.